Here's a fix for importing Illustrator art into Moho

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

luftbuefel

Here's a fix for importing Illustrator art into Moho

Post by luftbuefel »

You will need Flash to do this fix.
First open the Illustrator file and select the objects that you want to put into Moho. Copy these objects and them paste them into Flash (I'm using Flash 8 but I'll bet it works on older versions) Then go to File--Export--As Image and export is as an Illustrator file. I set mine to export as an Illustrator 5 file. Import this new illustrator file into Moho and the curves and lines should look a lot better. There are still color problems but the lines are greatly improved. Keeping you color mode set to RGB will help the color but I usually just create some new styles in Moho to fix the color manually.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I don't like bursting your balloon, but I mentioned this very tip a couple of months ago...maybe there should be a "sticky" thread with tips one could look through before submitting an idea?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Manu

Post by Manu »

I hate to burst both your bubbles, but there is a much easier way of doing this. Flash quadruples the amount of control-points on the curve, that's all it does.
You might as well do it in illustrator. Just select all and go to the following menu:
Object > Path > Add Anchor Points.
If you do this twice, you'll get the same result as Flash. And remember that Illustrator has actions, so you can quite easily turn this into an action that you trigger by clicking on F2 or something.
By the way, on import, Moho will double up the amount of points again, so initially, you may want to try only doubling up the amount of points in Illustrator, not quadruple it. Doubling it up may be enough, otherwise you'll end up with a massive amount of points that very quickly bring Moho to a grinding standstill.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Bubble-burster!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
JCook

Post by JCook »

Excellent tip, Manu.

jack
cribble

Post by cribble »

well i hate burst all three of your bubbles but....
--Scott
cribble.net
CowsCanFly

Post by CowsCanFly »

cribble wrote:well i hate burst all three of your bubbles but....
:lol:
Inkling_Studio

Post by Inkling_Studio »

Hi,

I'm having absolutely no success importing .ai files into Moho .

Is there a step-by-step tutorial on how this is supposed to work ?

I tried the suggestion above , saving images out of Flash as Illustrator 5 .ai files , but when I attempt to import them to Moho all I get is a broken image
symbol or nothing .

The File menu on Moho has the option of importing Adobe Illustrator File,
so this must be possible to do , right ?
Manu

Post by Manu »

Are there any bitmaps in your .ai file? I doubt Moho would be able to read them.
Inkling_Studio

Post by Inkling_Studio »

Manu wrote:Are there any bitmaps in your .ai file? I doubt Moho would be able to read them.
I thought maybe that was the problem , because I was using Trace Bitmap in Flash to convert (I thought) a .png image to a vector image .

However, I created a simple image in Flash , a pure vector line image , and saved it out as an .ai file (Illustrator 5) , and it would not import into Moho either .
Manu

Post by Manu »

Hang on, are you trying to import your .ai using an image-layer? Image layers are only for bitmaps. If you try to import an .ai file, just go to
file>import>adobe illustrator file...
HotTaco

Post by HotTaco »

Worked absolutely perfectly for me. Great trick. Thanks Manu!
keinchy

Post by keinchy »

for your info..........
depending on what version of illustrator u are using just by importing an AI file might not always work... incase you import an AI file and when is brought into MOHO or AS and it comes out all miss-shaped here is the fix:

when you create anything in AI and you are planning to import to MOHO save that file as ILLUSTRATOR 3 if you dont it will not be imported properly.

just thought some of you guys should know.