Interpolate sublayers in switch layers does not always work

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Vincent

Interpolate sublayers in switch layers does not always work

Post by Vincent »

Hello,

sometimes the option of interpolate sublayers in a switch layer does not always work as expected. I usually draw my model in a vector layer, copy it and translate the points to my liking (maintaining an equal number of points). Then I put the vector layers in a switch layer, check "interpolate sublayers" and keyframe the sublayers via switch layer.

Sometimes the sublayers do not interpolate although I checked the option. Occasionally I copied the vector layer after having put it in a switch layer first, but this does not necessarily solve the problem. Then I thought it might have something to do with Moho just accepting closed forms but this does not seem to solve the issue either.

So, is there a certain order of steps that one must strictly follow in order to make "interpolate sublayers" always work?

Thanks in advance

Vincent
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

From your description it sounds like it should be working.

When you say it "isn't working" you mean... it just "snaps" to the new position? correct?

I usually duplicate my starting layer inside the switch but... sometimes not ... and then make certain not to add or delete points or shapes on the other switches... and it ALWAYS WORKS. However... I have "accidentally" copied and pasted shapes onto a complex switch layer and broken it.

It sounds like possible... user error somewhere. Each layer must have the EXACT same number of points... it also might have to do with fill shapes... but I don't think that has an effect.

In rare cases the points can get... out of order... and my switch morphed in very odd twisty ways... but it still worked.

Make sure you copy ALL the points or just duplicate the layer when doing switches. Duplicating the layer is really the best way... rather than copying points to a "new" layer. Less chance of missing anything.

-vern
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Hi, Vern,

Thanks for your advice.

"When you say it "isn't working" you mean... it just "snaps" to the new position? correct? "

Exactly. Occasionally they do not interpolate although the number of points remains the same and in spite of the fact that I do everything not to corrupt the shapes.

Still a mystery to me.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your thoughts on that matter.

Cheers

Vincent
Postality

Post by Postality »

That's a strange problem.

The only time I've ever had this happen was if I deleted a line or point and had tried to rebuild it.

other than that it hasn't occured (Lucky for me I guess.)

Hopefully for you it was just a weird moho spasm or something.
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I had this happen... once.

I was able to get the interpolation to work again but everything was all twisty and messed up.

I absolutely never got it matched up so I redid the switch layers. I keep an eye on it now and am very methodical when doing switches now.

-vern