New tool: Select Parent Layer

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rylleman

New tool: Select Parent Layer

Post by rylleman »

Here's another very simple but quite useful script, Select Parent Layer.
it works as a button in the toolbox, when you click it (or even better assign a hotkey for it) the selected layer in the Layers box changes to the parent of the layer. Very useful if you work a lot with nested skeletons and switch layers.

Installation: Download and unzip in your >scripts>tool folder.

Then open _tool_list.txt located in the tool folder.
If there are no "Other" group at the bottom of the list add one by inserting the lines;

Code: Select all

group Other
color	204 220 232 255
Under those lines add;

Code: Select all

button	DR_select_parent_layer	J
(J is the hotkey, you can set this to whatever key you want, J, K, O and Y is not mapped to any tool).
Save _tool_list.txt and refresh Moho (ctrl+F5).

Edit:Updated the installation info.
Last edited by rylleman on Fri May 19, 2006 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Ha HA!

You are a mind reader... This is going to be very helpful. I have bone layers and group layers with many many layers. Constantly scrolling through the layer palette can get tiresome... sometimes I get lost or click the wrong "parent".

-Vern
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Hi rylleman, I downloaded your script and I can't get it to work, I followed your instructions but nothing happens in the layer window when pushing the button, maybe it's not working with my system?
I'm running mac osx 10.4.6

all the best / ulrik
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

>heyvern. Thanks. Yeah, I too had a hard time finding the right layer, this will be of some help there. I'm planning on more navigation scripts.

>ulrik. Strange. I did some quick tests now and it seems like the script doesn't work if you don't assign it as a button in _tool_list.txt, is that it?
I don't have a Mac so I can't test it on one but I don't think that should be any problem, the code is extremely simple, 2 basic lines.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Yes that was it, I had to assign a key in the _tools list and then it worked with the shortcut and when pushing the button with the mouse.......strange that the mouse click didn't work the first time...
Thanks a lot for this tool, it will be very useful when searching for the parents when all folders are open, then it's a hard time to find.. :D
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

this script is great. thanks rylleman. simple and useful.
this one has been a long year without it.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

WHOA! amazing...
thanks for this :)

could you please also do a key for just navigating up and down by one layer? I'm experimenting with creating actions as per DarthFurbys tutorial, and with a lot of layers, its offputting to keep having to click up and down in the layers pallette :)

THANKS!
keisern

Post by keisern »

funksmaname wrote: could you please also do a key for just navigating up and down by one layer? I'm experimenting with creating actions as per DarthFurbys tutorial, and with a lot of layers, its offputting to keep having to click up and down in the layers pallette :)
Yeah, that's a really good idea. We'd love that for our 50+ layer characters.
Halvseint, animated talkshow on NRK
www.nrk.no/halvseint