Parts of the Head keep shifting when moving the whole body

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

NealF

Parts of the Head keep shifting when moving the whole body

Post by NealF »

Hi.

I've got a character with the Face on one layer. Beard, mouths, eyes and eyebrows on seperate layers.
They all are in a folder called "Head."

Everything works fine except that when I take the character and scale him up or move him, the beard and mouths shift position. Not a lot, but enough to have to change it and key frame it every time I change the shot.

It also happens if I leave the scaling alone and pan with the camera. Zooming seems okay. Just panning.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
synthsin75

Re: Parts of the Head keep shifting when moving the whole body

Post by synthsin75 »

Make sure those problem layers haven't been accidentally moved on the z-axis, using the transform layer tool. If so, reset that value.
NanotechBeasts

Post by NanotechBeasts »

Reset all the layer settings, layer is the page icon. Then move the parts back into place just using the object mover (four arrows pointing in different directions). Sometimes I duplicate the layer to make sure my corrections match my previous work and then delete the old.

I have made this mistake a lot and have to remind myself not to accidentally move or resize layers. I wish there was an easier correction but I don't know of one. It's definitely better to fix now than later.
NanotechBeasts

Post by NanotechBeasts »

Reset all the layer settings, layer is the page icon. Then move the parts back into place just using the object mover (four arrows pointing in different directions). Sometimes I duplicate the layer to make sure my corrections match my previous work and then delete the old.

I have made this mistake a lot and have to remind myself not to accidentally move or resize layers. I wish there was an easier correction but I don't know of one. It's definitely better to fix now than later.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Thanks guys.

Moho has got me afraid to do anything thinking of what might be happening down the line (or in front).

I've manually fixed all the bad movements and made the keyframes a Step keyframe to keep it the same until the next correction. I'll check out what you both say, on a duplicate file just to make sure I don't kill myself.

And now I've run into another weirdness that must be a bug.
Yesterday I saved and quit and everything was fine.

Today I opened the file to find some of the color on the characters was gone. And when I re painted them using the blob tool (same as originally) it was no longer painting underneath the line work! (Yes, Paint underneath was still checked.)

How the !@$$( did the color just disappear. And no longer work like it should when I fix it? This program is so great, but it's so unintuitive (or buggy) that it's making me crazy. Spent 3 days trying to do something very simple that should have taken a few hours.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Really don't know without seeing a file.

Moho has a high learning curve, because it does stuff differently. But once you learn it, I think most people find it fairly intuitive, since "fun to use" is a common experience.
Working through all of the included tutorials really helps get the fundamentals down, so you're not wondering whether it's a mistake or bug so much.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

The original problem totally sounds like what the other comments said, you are describing a parallax effect, it happens if you moved some layer in the Z axis (depth).

The problem with the color dissapearing sounds strange, I don't know. Maybe you forgot to save?

The blob brush not drawing behind is something I have experienced, I think that may be a bug. I don't remember if I found a workarround, I rarely use the blob brush. Maybe others can confirm.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:55 am Moho has a high learning curve, because it does stuff differently. But once you learn it, I think most people find it fairly intuitive, since "fun to use" is a common experience.
Agree.

Moho seems to have numerous bugs whenever a user is ascending the learning curve. I bet 99% of the time, the problem is that the user thought they were telling Moho to do "A" but they were actually telling it to do "B."

Believe me, one day you'll look back and think, "Gosh, I haven't had a bug in months!" That doesn't mean you're lucky; it means you mastered the tools! 8)

But yeh, bugs do happen from time to time.
NealF

Post by NealF »

It's possible it was a Z plane effect, although I didn't intentionally use it.

As far a bugs go, it's comforting to know I'm not always the one with the bugs. :D

Thanks everyone.