Line boil won't change.

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

NealF

Line boil won't change.

Post by NealF »

Hi.

I have a layer with just cross hatching lines.
There is no animation in it yet.

But when I hit play, it boils constantly. I have it set to number 1, which is supposed to only boil when there is animation.

So I tried to fix it by selecting all the points. Then going into the the brush window. It says Line boil is set to 1. But I changed the brush and then went back to the first brush and reset the line boil to 1 again hoping it would take.

Didn't work.

How do I change line boil on an already drawn layer. I'm hoping I don't have to redraw the whole thing.

Thanks.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Line boil won't change.

Post by Víctor Paredes »

The number is the interval in which the will boil. 1 Means it will boil on 1s. That's it, it will boil on every frame.
If you set it to 2, it will boil on 2s (every two frames). If you set it to 3, it will boil on 3s (every three frames). And so on.
The value in which the line will only boil if the character is moving is 0.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
NealF

Post by NealF »

Ah!
I had it in reverse. I'll double check, but my memory is that all my other boil numbers were working as I thought.

But I'll have a look.
Thanks.
NealF

Post by NealF »

OK.

Still have the problem after making sure the brush line boil was set to zero.

So the problem is: How do I take a line drawing that's already drawn (and continually boiling) and change the boil to zero?

What I tried was to select everything on that layer, then go to the brush window and change the line boil to zero. Click okay.
Nothing changed!

Is it possible to do? Or do I have to redraw the whole thing and start from scratch?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Be sure you are selecting all the Shapes before making the change.
Select the layer, then use the Select Shape tool and click on the Select All button.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

I have never been able to figure-out how to use Line Boil. It sounds simple, but it never works like I want it to. Like, a shape I left unselected on a layer with boiling shapes will kinda boil a little, even though it was not selected. It's like, something always goes awry.

Generally, whenever I need it, I either use Noisy Outlines or decide I don't need it after all.

I also do not understand why we can't Line Boil the default vector stroke. Why do we have to pick a brush?

I think a good tutorial that included several "don't do this" comments would help, because I must be doing something wrong somewhere. I've been using Moho long enough to know it's definitely my fault. :lol:
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I would LOVE to be able to use line boil with the default vector stroke.

For me, the idea of the line boil, and specifically using it on "0" so it's automatically activated by movement is super cool if you like the FBF feeling like I do. But right now it's only usable with thick lines because thin brushes get pixelated as I show here: viewtopic.php?t=36417

Hopefully some day I'll be able to use it with more normal lines of 2px or so.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Daxel wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:34 am Hopefully some day I'll be able to use it with more normal lines of 2px or so.
That would be awesome.

I also want a button the says Line Boil, and when I click it, a slider-bar pops up, and the more I slide the slider to the right, the more the line boils.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:13 pm Be sure you are selecting all the Shapes before making the change.
Select the layer, then use the Select Shape tool and click on the Select All button.
AHA!!
I so easy when you know what to do. Thanks. That worked.