Move to frame 0

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mjnew

Move to frame 0

Post by mjnew »

Hello to All, and thanks in advance for any help you might be offering.
So my question is this...
after creating a scene and advancing through the animation to a certain frame, how do I make this frame, frame 0, for a new save?
Daxel

Re: Move to frame 0

Post by Daxel »

The short answer is no. We currently don't have a way to take a rig exactly how its posed at a frame and make it look the same at frame 0.

I always wanted to be able to do it and it's something Moho or a new script could do, but that has never been developed.

If you really really need to do this and don't care about doing it kind of manually, its doable using Hayasidist's bake frame script following the steps described in my comment here: viewtopic.php?p=199655#p199655
It may be outdated so I don't know if it still works well. I guess it won't take into account new features.

Another way to do something similar but not quite the same, because it doesn't take into consideration the smartbones animations and many other things, is using Mult Rush's transform rig tool. That tool allows you to edit bones and their points at frame 0 at the same time but it was not meant for this so it can only help in some cases, like moving or scaling an entire limb with the bones and the art together, check it out it's a must have.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

there is Animation / Copy Current Frame

It's a bit sledgehammer-y if you select the "whole document" option -- and going through and picking out the channels you want can be tedious.
mjnew

Post by mjnew »

Thanks for the response, really appreciate it.
Will be a nice feature at some point in the future.
Until then, looks like I just have to start planning things better. lol
Moving everything to frame 1 is a bit tedious but, as it is the only option for now, yep, back to work. lol
Again, thanks for the help.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Keep in mind Copy Current Frame and Copy Deep Frame will work to copy the rig pose from the current frame to any other frame, but because frame zero works differently for many features, the rig will break. For example art won't follow the bones and smartbones initial angle will change breaking them too.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

You could potentially put everything is a group and then set the Sequence of that group layer such that it is advanced X frames into the timeline future.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
mjnew

Post by mjnew »

Thanks again for the suggestions.
I'll give the sequencer a shot and follow the link to Hayasidist's bake frame script.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

mjnew wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:02 am ...
I'll give the sequencer a shot and follow the link to Hayasidist's bake frame script.
that will just bake the vectors, it won't move bones, so probably not what you want.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

hayasidist wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:39 pm

that will just bake the vectors, it won't move bones, so probably not what you want.
Yes, I should clarify that the link I gave him has the steps I have used to have the bones and the vectors in frame 0 positioned like in a specific frame, which involves using your script to fix the vectors as one of the steps.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Couldn't you just copy the pose frame to frame one?
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I'm not totally sure what the intention of the OP is. In my case, When I have wanted to make the Frame 0 look like a specific frame, it's basically just a way of modifying the rig design using animation tools like bones, meshes etc.

When I don't like something about the design but I'm not sure what it is, I like to experiment in a frame using animation tools to test different proportions, sometimes I just scale the head group layer, sometimes I scale the spine bones, move the eye bones or activate some smartbones. This could be done just drawing different designs but I find animation tools way better for the job, and not only that but sometimes is one specific pose that looks bad and redesigning this way you can quickly pose the rig after making each modification to ensure it looks fine in the poses you needed.

And then, when I like what I see, is when I want to have it like that on frame 0.

Recently I use Mult Rush's Transform Rig Tool when the changes can be done with it, which is half of the times.

For posing, I use the frame 1 and copying the keyframes to F1 is pretty easy.