Opacity of shapes or layers

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

animas3D

Opacity of shapes or layers

Post by animas3D »

Hi there, is there a way to set the opacity of a shape or layer for that matter.

Lets say I want a shape or layer to fade out at a given frame. How does one do that?
Greenlaw

Re: Opacity of shapes or layers

Post by Greenlaw »

Sure!

For Layers, open the Layer Settings window (double-click the layer,) and dial in your desired Opacity level. If you want to animate it, you also need to enable the Animated Effects option in the upper right. This will allow you to set keyframes for the property.

You can do edit this for multiple selected layers all at once, or you can edit it at the group level to keep it simple.

If you want to toggle the visibility off and on without the fade, it's better to use the Visibility option. Curiously, this option doesn't require Animated Effects to be enabled.

For Shapes, you need to set the Shape's Style's Alpha value. To do this, select the shape using the Select Shape tool, then click on the Style's Color tile and drag the Alpha channel slider up/down. This property is keyframeable.
animas3D

Post by animas3D »

Excellent! Yes, I knew that you could vary a layer's opacity by double clicking on the layer, I just didn't know you could keyframe it by clicking that "Animated Effects" checkmark. Very cool. I did not know you could keyframe a shapes alpha in that way. That's great.

Next question: Would I be wrong in assuming that in order to fade out a particle at some point, you would keyframe the alpha of the color of the shape as you described above? Would it also work the same if you want to fade it in after it is born or have the particle remain semi transparent?

Thank you very much!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Moho's particle system is pretty limited, but I believe if you animate a dissolve in the sprite itself, that will carry into the particle animation.

To vary the dissolve timing, try making multiple sprites with different ranges for the dissolve.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck! :)
animas3D

Post by animas3D »

Thanks, I will.