How to stop gradients from being moved by the bone

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

Re: How to stop gradients from being moved by the bone

Post by Daxel »

Yes and yes. Then, for ease of mind, you can see the linked bones look a little bit different when you have their linked layer selected.
ZV1LLE

Post by ZV1LLE »

Ok, I'll try it and see if it works, Thanks again :D
ZV1LLE

Post by ZV1LLE »

So I linked all the bones to their specific layers, AND IT WORKED!!!! :D The arm no longer tears the body's gradient and is now independently moving on its own, But another quick question before I end this question, How do I make it so that (say the arm) can go Infront and behind the body, because as of right now, it's just behind
Last edited by ZV1LLE on Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DK

Post by DK »

I'd just use animated Layer Order or...have two copies on the arm one in front of the body and another copy of the arm below. Then use layer visibility to have one appear above or below when required.
Cheers
D.K
ZV1LLE

Post by ZV1LLE »

How would I use animated layer order to achieve this?
DK

Post by DK »

Make sure you select the Group layer that contain your arm layers. Now activate "animated layer order" for that parent group (Double click on the parent layer, select Depth Sort Tab,Check Animated Layer Order). Go to a frame other than frame 0 and drag an arm layer so it is above the body layer. Play back the animation and your arm will automatically pop in front of your body layer when the animation gets to that key frame.
Cheers
D.K
Last edited by DK on Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZV1LLE

Post by ZV1LLE »

So anytime I want to make the arm go Infront of the body, I have to use this step and then just drag the arm layer where I want it to be?

Also just asking, is it possible to do this process like some kind of switch (being able to automatically make it go in front and back with the click of a button)?
DK

Post by DK »

Sorry. Made a slight error in the post above now corrected. (Check Animated Layer Order not Sort Layers By Depth). The problem with using a switch layer to rig a system that raises or lowers the arm layer is that in a switch layer everything is on the same layer. Probably easier to use layers that are already above and below and just turn layer visibility on and off as you need it.
Cheers
D.K
ZV1LLE

Post by ZV1LLE »

I mean, I could use that solution, but I'm just wondering if there are other ways to achieve this
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Yes the two methods DK mentioned are the most used ones.

The first (animate layer order) is simple but because the order of the layers is a string variable, you can't animate it from smartbones and from the main timeline without conflicts, so it's better to use it only in the main timeline.

The second one (animate visibility of a duplicate or a reference) is more complex, but can be used by smartbones. This video by Mult Rush explains the technique very well but keep in mind it's an advanced technique and should be on the bottom of the list of things to learn as a begginer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNe8W-WKnOM
ZV1LLE

Post by ZV1LLE »

So I can just use the animated switch layer, and anytime I want the arm to go in front of the body, I have to drag the arm layer Infront of the body in the layer order, then vice versa?

It seems like a tiring process doing it over and over again, but I could see if the second method works. In what timestamp do they introduce the method in the video?

And can Vitruvian bones achieve this process as well?