How to stop gradients from being moved by the bone

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ZV1LLE

Re: How to stop gradients from being moved by the bone

Post by ZV1LLE »

SuperSGL, I see what you mean but I cant really understand it, could you put it in a step-by-step guide?
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

1. Add another Vector layer on top of say your right arm layer.
2. Create a rectangle that covers the whole arm (you can be way outside the lines of the arm)
3. Select both arm layer and the one you just added and right click and select Group with selection. (this will put your 2 layers in a folder)
4. Right click on that new folder and select Group mask - Mask - inside bottom layer This will put your rectangle inside the arm.
5. Select that rectangle layer and add your gradient the way you'd like. You should be able to see the results in the viewport but if not render an image or press the masking button on the bottom right of the view.
6. Now use what ever binding you used on the rectangle as you did the arm.
Repeat the steps for all the other shapes you want the gradient to be in. You tube has plenty of tutorials on both these steps. If your still having trouble you can do a search like 'adding a texture inside a mask'
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

1. Im assuming you have Moho pro 14 if not you may not see the results and no buttons will show. You'll have to render it.
2. If you just used link bones adding the rectangle in this way will automatically add it with the bones and should move with them.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

Maybe this will help without doing all that other stuff.
Norman McLaren

My Animations
ZV1LLE

Post by ZV1LLE »

Ok, Seems like the solution, I'll try it out and see if it works
ZV1LLE

Post by ZV1LLE »

I'm not sure if the way I'm doing it is correct, is it correct?

SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

Hard to tell but it looks like you didn't bind the arm itself. There are lots of tutorials on rigging a character. Start with basics try flat colors first get everything moving the way you want then add the gradients. Either the way I explained or the video I posted. All these things get easier with practice Goodluck
Norman McLaren

My Animations
ZV1LLE

Post by ZV1LLE »

The character I made was created in another software (Inkscape), So I don't know much about gradients in Moho

I binded the rectangle but it's movement was still pretty weird (Note: I'm using a smooth joint pair) So i'm still not sure what I need to fix

Maybe it's my layer order, the way the gradient is idk, but the rectangle just hides the arm when I move it
Last edited by ZV1LLE on Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I agree with SuperSGL, it's going to be easier for you to try to learn the basics and work your way up in complexity.

I would recommend you to start only with Moho (creating the art with it too) to get familiar with its concepts, and start without gradients, smooth joints or any other non-basic features. Get familiar with shapes, points, bones, smartbones and point binding first using Moho's manual, youtube tutorials and asking questions here.

Moho is very versatile but that comes with some complexity. If you try to learn everything at once it could be slower and frustrating for you to advance. The community won't be abe to help you very well, because you don't know what is happening and we can't communicate very well, so at the end it will be like trying to teach you Moho entirely, like giving you a poor and disorganized version of Moho's user manual (which you can find here: https://youneedawiki.com/app/page/1UxA8 ... gJw4U9flX3 )
ZV1LLE

Post by ZV1LLE »

Yeah, your right, I think its's best if introduce myself to more of the tools of Moho, although I've already watched a tutorial introducing me to Moho, I haven't really learned much about creating my own vector in Moho, so probably that's the problem, or because it has to be a texture I'm not sure, but I'll see if that helps, Thank you
ZV1LLE

Post by ZV1LLE »

Ok, I've watched a couple videos and learned more about making vectors in Moho, But I'm still trying to find a solution (or at least a tutorial) that will introduce me to gradients and how to use them efficiently (including as just a texture, any tutorials?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

If you post a file (link from Dropbox, etc.), we can show you how on the file and explain how it's done.
ZV1LLE

Post by ZV1LLE »

I'm not as comfortable as to send the file with my character in it, but I can try making an example file with the issue if that's okay
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Anything that will help you understand the steps used to fix the problem.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

ZV1LLE wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:56 pm Ok, I've watched a couple videos and learned more about making vectors in Moho, But I'm still trying to find a solution (or at least a tutorial) that will introduce me to gradients and how to use them efficiently (including as just a texture, any tutorials?
For the different possible causes of the issues you are having with gradients and bones, the actual relevant information you need to know is:

Gradients and a few other shape effects are positioned and moved using handles that you can see and manipulate using the select shape tool to select the shape.

These handles, and therefore the gradients themselves, can be moved manually at any frame to create position keyframes, animating the gradient's position.

To move the gradients using bones, which seems to be your case, only the bone's strength (using flexibinding) and the layer bind are able to do that. A third case, that is not automatic like those other two, is if the bone is actually a smartbone and has a smartaction that contains animation of the gradient's position, in that case the movement of the bone will automatically move the gradient according to the smart action.

If you are not familiarized with all those concepts firs, this may sound like chinese.