Motion Blur ideas

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hoptoad

Motion Blur ideas

Post by Hoptoad »

When Motion Blur is turned off during an animation, it doesn't make a keyframe. Sometimes I want Motion Blur on, and sometimes I don't; consequently, being able to turn it on and off throughout an animation would be nice.

Also, I think turning off Stroke for the extra images would be a nifty option (not the primary image). In some artwork, the Strokes on the extra images don't look right with Motion Blur. The duplicated Strokes make the art look too computer-y, and they can also foil the motion effect.

Also also, it would be nice to establish one's Motion Blur preferences in the Settings. And then a person could simply click a "Use preferences" button on the Motion Blur tab and import them.

Thanks. Keep up the awesome work.
synthsin75

Re: Motion Blur ideas

Post by synthsin75 »

You might try putting a reference of the object behind the original. That way the reference layer visibility could be turned on and off, and you could remove the strokes.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

synthsin75 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:23 pm You might try putting a reference of the object behind the original. That way the reference layer visibility could be turned on and off, and you could remove the strokes.
That's a neat idea.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who consider reference layers an advanced feature that I generally avoid unless I have no choice.

Based on personal experience, using reference layers is like asking for things to go wrong while animating -- like whenever I try animating layers.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

If you want to add the motion blur after the animation is done, you could just use a duplicate that has all the existing animation.

If you edit the animation, you'd just have to copy the keyframes over to the duplicate yourself.
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

A few years ago I animated characters running and opening different doors along a wall. I wanted to animate the camera so it effected the whole animation. So I was able to key frame the motion blur, also the characters weren't needing the motion blur all the time. I believe I key framed it but don't remember how I did it exactly. I'll have to look at the file. You could always reference the outlined objects and just add a slight blur to those while animating the motion blur on the rest of the object.

Sorry didn't read all the comments about reference. :oops:
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

Make sure you check "animated effects" in the layers tab. I was able to motion blur a shape moving left to right with motion blur on and off going back the other way I hope this helps
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations