How do I smooth the joints in Debut?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

vickyJ03

How do I smooth the joints in Debut?

Post by vickyJ03 »

Hi there,

I am currently teaching myself Moho. I have Moho Debut 14 and I am absolutely baffled by this. How do I stop the limbs from looking like cutouts? I have attached a picture to show you what I mean. When I bend the limbs, you can see the overhang from the upper section poking out from behind. I want to make the entire thing look like one continuous limb without any breaks. I have tried doing this as just one layer but it didn’t work. Is this not something I can do in Debut? Do I have to upgrade to Pro? Almost all the tutorials and courses appear to be for Pro and not Debut and mention things that I cannot find in my version of the software.

I have created the limbs over three separate layers, each one a vector image, dragged these into a bone layer, added the bones, adjusted the strength of each bone and either bound the points or bound the layer depending on how many bones each section has.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been working on this particular rig now for over a week and I feel like I am getting nowhere fast!

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ijg97u7c ... t0l70&dl=0
Hoptoad

Re: How do I smooth the joints in Debut?

Post by Hoptoad »

Welcome to the forum. :D

Moho is somewhat confusing until you've mastered a few essential skills, and one of the most important is the one you asked about.

The answer is complicated to explain, so I'm going to recommend a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWzTO-0sNzA

In a nutshell, a bone rig only does what you tell it to do. If the results are wonky, probably the artwork and the bones are not working in harmony. One of the easiest ways to achieve harmony is to use circles at the elbows and knees of your artwork, and make your bones rotate in the exact center of those circles.

Good luck!
vickyJ03

Re: How do I smooth the joints in Debut?

Post by vickyJ03 »

Thank you, I shall give it a try :)