Is there anyone here use Affinity Designer to draw vector and import to Moho?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Panha

Is there anyone here use Affinity Designer to draw vector and import to Moho?

Post by Panha »

Hello everyone, I wonder if anyone here uses Affinity Designer 2 to draw vector and import to Moho. In Affinity Designer 2, I don't see any ways to draw shapes on a single layer. However, if we draw in Moho using draw tool, shapes can be drawn in one single layer which is great. Drawing different shapes on single layer would help us in animation, reduce unwanted layers. If draw in Affinity Designer 2, each shapes are put in separated layers, So when save as SVG and imported to Moho, there will be many layers and some shapes which are needed to be on the same layer may need to be cut and paste to have them in one single layer, which take more time. I wonder if anyone here uses Affinity Photo Designer 2 to draw vector and import to Moho, can you share the technique and some experiences about how you import vector from Affinity Designer 2 to Moho here? Thank you.
slowtiger

Re: Is there anyone here use Affinity Designer to draw vector and import to Moho?

Post by slowtiger »

Just did a quick test.
- You can group shapes/layers in Affinity.
- In Moho, Import gives you the option "consolidate layers". I got everything neatly arranged in a group layer, but some shapes were combined into one layer, others remained separate. I guess Moho groups them according to basic shapes (rectangel, circle etc)?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Panha

Re: Is there anyone here use Affinity Designer to draw vector and import to Moho?

Post by Panha »

slowtiger wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:50 pm Just did a quick test.
- You can group shapes/layers in Affinity.
- In Moho, Import gives you the option "consolidate layers". I got everything neatly arranged in a group layer, but some shapes were combined into one layer, others remained separate. I guess Moho groups them according to basic shapes (rectangel, circle etc)?
I see. Thank you, I did many test this evening, but the result was not acceptable. Like what you said, Moho may combine only the shapes that it can understand (Shapes that Moho has in its default tool or basic shapes) into a single layers. Hmmm, in Affinity even a little single line has to be on separated curve layer. :D
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

To be fair, having each element in a separate layer was what Illustrator did all the time.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

You can consolidate selected vector layers within Affinity by using Layer > Geometry > Merge Curves. But it will make them all one shape / style / color.

The SVG importer will consolidate the SVGs vector elements onto a single Moho layer based on its ability to do so. Normally it will do this at the SVG Group level, but you can force further consolidation with "post-op reduce", but that ability to consolidate more will also depend on whether masking is involved. Note: Moho SVG importer does not care what the source elements are. i.e. lines / shapes. They are all treated the same.

Sometimes it helps to understand what the Affinity / Illustrator exporter has done with the export, by opening the SVG with Affinity / Illustrator after export and examining it.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Panha

Post by Panha »

SimplSam wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:29 pm You can consolidate selected vector layers within Affinity by using Layer > Geometry > Merge Curves. But it will make them all one shape / style / color.

The SVG importer will consolidate the SVGs vector elements onto a single Moho layer based on its ability to do so. Normally it will do this at the SVG Group level, but you can force further consolidation with "post-op reduce", but that ability to consolidate more will also depend on whether masking is involved. Note: Moho SVG importer does not care what the source elements are. i.e. lines / shapes. They are all treated the same.

Sometimes it helps to understand what the Affinity / Illustrator exporter has done with the export, by opening the SVG with Affinity / Illustrator after export and examining it.
Thank you