Transform tool, Layer tool and stroke width

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Reindeer

Transform tool, Layer tool and stroke width

Post by Reindeer »

hi, if I scale a vector drawing with the M-layer tool, the width of the stroke scales proportionally. If I scale it with the T-transform tool, the stroke width doesn't change.

Two questions:
1) is there a way to tell M-layer tool to NOT scale the stroke? I seem to remember there was but I may be dreaming.
2) is there a way to tell T transform tool to scale the stroke? Again, maybe I saw that option while dozing.

thanks!
synthsin75

Re: Transform tool, Layer tool and stroke width

Post by synthsin75 »

Try disabling Scale Compensation in the layer settings.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

synthsin75 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:22 pm Try disabling Scale Compensation in the layer settings.
There it is! Thanks.
This does, yet, I think leave a space for being able to turn stroke width scaling on or off in the Transform tool. Because true as it is that disabling Scale Compensation does the trick, it's more of a global command, which works from when you change the setting but, of course, also "resets" all previous strokes to their original width. I feel it would be quite useful to be able to scale strokes with the Transform tool. An example is when one is doing some freehand sketching (like when doodling for a character's form, drawing different takes on the same layer, something which has become quite possible since the recent improvements in the Freehand tool), it would be nice to be able to scale single drawings within the same layer while keeping their original stroke proportions.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

You can scale strokes with the line width tool.
If you compare the shape's style stroke width, you can see it doesn't change. The line width tool is actually scaling that stroke width by a percentage.

But this is independent of scaling the shape with the transform points tool.
I'm sure the transform points tool could be modded to do that. But generally, you want a consistent line style throughout your project. So in most cases, you'd want to either disable scale compensation or scale all the line widths to match.

If your style involves varying line widths (other that just to simulate free hand), that's a relatively unique style. I'd be interested in knowing if it works well.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:36 am You can scale strokes with the line width tool.
If you compare the shape's style stroke width, you can see it doesn't change. The line width tool is actually scaling that stroke width by a percentage.

But this is independent of scaling the shape with the transform points tool.
I'm sure the transform points tool could be modded to do that. But generally, you want a consistent line style throughout your project. So in most cases, you'd want to either disable scale compensation or scale all the line widths to match.

If your style involves varying line widths (other that just to simulate free hand), that's a relatively unique style. I'd be interested in knowing if it works well.
Yes, very true, I use the W-width tool very often. As you guessed, I tend to like an india-ink looking style, with lots of line variation, for which the W-tool is great. I can select the points of sketches I want to scale down, scale them and then reduce the strokes to where they look proportionally the same. It's not exactly what I feel I need when I'm in a fast "brainstorming" mode, which would be a more straightforward option to scale all parameters at once when needed, but no doubt it's a way to go.
Moho is amazing, but there are certain obliged commands one must carry out, especially when drawing freehand, which I still find put a "gap" between thought and hand. The simple action of selecting, for example, sometimes requires to be divided in two or three passages (G select points, T transform, Q select shape), and that, if you're in a quick-thinking mode, or used to software which requires a simple select-and-modify, can be a little frustrating. Paradoxically, even more frustrating now that Moho's drawing tools are really good! The recent improved brushes are really great (though I haven't had the chance to test them on any real project yet, so I don't know whether they are buggy or not), worlds away from the dodgy freehand tool I use to fight with just a few years ago. So, regarding the drawing experience I feel this sort of dissonance between what I can do with Moho, which is quality-wise very high and with margins of control other software simply doesn't offer, and how Moho allows me do it, which feels gappy. I got carried away here, and went quite astray, sorry :)