Is there any way to make layer order action to not confilct with one another?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Panha

Is there any way to make layer order action to not confilct with one another?

Post by Panha »

Hi everyone,
I want to make body turn using smart bone action. Body turn should involve layer order of upper arms and lower arms, right?. Since layer order can't be changed later on when we apply smart bone action, I don't use layer order in the action. I use two more smart bones separately from the Body Turn Smart bone for layer ordering. However, when apply layer ordering to Upper Arm the and Lower arm at the same time, only one smart bone works. It conflict with one another. Any solutions to this? Thank you.
Greenlaw

Re: Is there any way to make layer order action to not confilct with one another?

Post by Greenlaw »

Layer Order in a Smart Bone Action isn't recommended because the animation will, by design, be locked into whatever you set up for the Smart Bone. This can be a problem when you need to insert a new layer in the stack or wish to manually re-arrange the layer order in the Mainline. But if you don't intend to do either of these things, baking the layer order into a Smart Bone Action should be okay.

I may use Animated Layer Order in a Smart Bone for simple setups, but for more complicated character rigs, I prefer animating Layer Visibility inside the Smart Bone instead.

To do this, make duplicate or reference layers of the layers to be 'moved', and place these copies in the layer positions where they will appear. (For example, the original arms layers behind the body layer, and the copy layers in front of the body layer.) Once I have the copies in place, I'll set up the Smart Bone Action to switch their layer visibility on and off.

After setting this up, I may still enable Animated Layer Order for the group, so I have the option to rearrange the layer order manually. (This step is optional...you may not need it, but it's always available when you do.)

So, this setup provides the best of both worlds: a Smart Bone Dial and manual keyframing for layer order. :)

Hope this helps.
Panha

Re: Is there any way to make layer order action to not confilct with one another?

Post by Panha »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:00 pm Layer Order in a Smart Bone Action isn't recommended because the animation will, by design, be locked into whatever you set up for the Smart Bone. This can be a problem when you need to insert a new layer in the stack or wish to manually re-arrange the layer order in the Mainline. But if you don't intend to do either of these things, baking the layer order into a Smart Bone Action should be okay.

I may use Animated Layer Order in a Smart Bone for simple setups, but for more complicated character rigs, I prefer animating Layer Visibility inside the Smart Bone instead.

To do this, make duplicate or reference layers of the layers to be 'moved', and place these copies in the layer positions where they will appear. (For example, the original arms layers behind the body layer, and the copy layers in front of the body layer.) Once I have the copies in place, I'll set up the Smart Bone Action to switch their layer visibility on and off.

After setting this up, I may still enable Animated Layer Order for the group, so I have the option to rearrange the layer order manually. (This step is optional...you may not need it, but it's always available when you do.)

So, this setup provides the best of both worlds: a Smart Bone Dial and manual keyframing for layer order. :)

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much. I recently found a script, Order by z scale, https://www.animestudiotutor.com/download?script_id=50. I don't experience with it much since I have just found it. I have not noticed any disadvantages of using this script yet. However, I applied this method.
1- I embedded the script into my character file.
2- Then I set Z scale for every layer that is inside the character bone group. The layer that I one to be the top is set to 100, then 90, then 80 and so on.
3- I renamed each layer with its default Z scale that I set, so that I can understand the default layer order.
4- I created smart bone action to change the the Z scale of the layers that I want to animate. I found no conflict in this case.
Here is the layer names and their default Z scale set by me.