smooth joint for bone pair greyed out

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Archamedes

smooth joint for bone pair greyed out

Post by Archamedes »

As title.

I am able to add a smooth joint for 3 of my limbs but for some reason my left arm wont allow this. the option to add the smooth joint for bone pair is greyed out when I select the upper and lower arm bone. I must have done something to prevent this from working, but i am unsure how to get it to work again.
synthsin75

Re: smooth joint for bone pair greyed out

Post by synthsin75 »

Are the bones in a straight enough line?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Whoops! I deleted my post because I didn't read the original post carefully enough, and my reply was irrelevant. Nothing to see here. :)
Archamedes

Post by Archamedes »

I ended up having to delete all bones and re-rig it again, which solved it, but didn't solve why it wouldn't allow the left arm to be joint paired in the first place. So if there is an option somewhere to fix/reset it without doing this process all over again, it would save some time
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Could it be that you're applying the smooth joint in a continuous chain?
To the shoulder and then to the elbow /or/ the knee and the ankle (i.e.)? Far as I know that is not an option.

In other words, the pair of bones you've used for one smooth joint can't be used for another smooth joint.
Archamedes

Post by Archamedes »

Maestral wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:05 pm Could it be that you're applying the smooth joint in a continuous chain?
To the shoulder and then to the elbow /or/ the knee and the ankle (i.e.)? Far as I know that is not an option.

In other words, the pair of bones you've used for one smooth joint can't be used for another smooth joint.
I have no idea. I just know that i was messing around for longer than I wanted to trying different combinations trying to get it to work, so there was obviously something applied by accident that prevented it from working, I just need to know if there is something to select/unselect to free it so it can be reapplied without making a new bone system
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Archamedes wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:49 pm ...I just need to know if there is something to select/unselect to free it so it can be reapplied without making a new bone system
If we had a problem file to look at, I'm sure there is a way to fix it without re-rigging. But not knowing the specifics of the file, it's hard to guess.