Bending a knee joint when leg is stretched

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hoptoad

Bending a knee joint when leg is stretched

Post by Hoptoad »

I use target bones to keep a character's feet planted when their root bone is moved. The legs are also have the stretching option activated.

When the legs are stretched, naturally the legs are in a straight line, like a rubber band pulled taut.

Is there a way to add some bending to the knee joint after a leg is stretched taut during animation?

It seems like there must be a way to bend the knees a little after having moved the root bone and stretching the legs. But when I click on the upper and lower leg bones, nothing happens because I'm using target bones.

Thanks.
Lae82

Re: Bending a knee joint when leg is stretched

Post by Lae82 »

Set knee bone angle rotation limits? So it doesn't go full 90 or 180 degrees. Or maybe I understand this wrong.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

There are a number of additional approaches:

1) Move the target bones closer to the affected limb/s (keyframed)

2) Pre-kink your artwork, draw at angle relative to the bones, so your artwork is never straight - when bones are straight

3) Use point animation to 'un-correct' the pose

4) Use a tool like: MR Pose Tool to manipulate the limb/s: https://mohoscripts.com/script/mr_pose_tool
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

SimplSam wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:56 pm 3) Use point animation to 'un-correct' the pose
Lae82 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:43 pm Set knee bone angle rotation limits? So it doesn't go full 90 or 180 degrees. Or maybe I understand this wrong.
Thanks! Both of these solutions will work for me.

I was kinda hoping there would be a solution involving adding a new bone perpendicular the knee area that could be used to bend the leg, but I can't imagine how such a bone might work.

I sometimes think a bone rig can be made to do anything, if I can only puzzle-out the secret of the bones. :D