Select Child/Parent Bones + Shortcut

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Select Child/Parent Bones + Shortcut

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Sorry, I haven't had time to read the entire thread yet, but do you know you can select the parent of the selected bone by just pressing the Up arrow on the keyboard?
If a Pin bone is child of the bone you want to select and it's set to Ignored by IK, it could work as some kind of shortcut to select that bone.
(I know this doesn't solve the main issue, but want to be sure I'm not missing something here)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:26 am Sorry, I haven't had time to read the entire thread yet, but about you know you can select the parent of the selected bone by just pressing the Up arrow on the keyboard?
If a Pin bone is child of the bone you want to select and it's set to Ignored by IK, it could work as some kind of shortcut to select that bone.
(I know this doesn't solve the main issue, but want to be sure I'm not missing something here)
Oh man i'm so silly, i didn't even know this! This is exactly what my original post meant... feel a bit silly now but you learn something new every day (i only learned a couple of days ago that i could select parent layers by Alt+SHIFT+R-Click...

Thanks Victor and sorry for the confusion.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh! That's very clever, Victor!

I was aware of navigating up and down the hierarchy with the arrowkays but never thought of using it this way.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Greenlaw wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:13 pm Oh! That's very clever, Victor!

I was aware of navigating up and down the hierarchy with the arrowkays but never thought of using it this way.
But that was my whole proposal :cry: :cry: :cry:

It's basically the Toon Boom trick applied to Moho bones :lol:

I just didn't know you could navigate up and down a bone chain already so that was basically my feature request and using that with pin bones like victor shows here as selectors.

I got to learn to be more clear haha... darn english language...
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

JoelMayer wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:28 pm I got to learn to be more clear haha... darn english language...
Nah, it's me. I'm in a rush most of the day and I have a habit of skimming through posts and responding only to the parts that interest me, and risk missing some important points. My apologies, I really don't mean to do that. Sometimes, I'll go back and take the time to re-read a thread properly and realize "Boy, did I go off on a tangent." :D
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Yea i know the problem. But in your defense i could've also simply just said:

i want a shortcut selecting bones up and down a chain :D

I just wanted to explain a usecase where that could come in handy. Sometimes it's hard to put that all into text especially in a foreign language hah
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I kept thinking there was a shortcut to select up the bone chain but I couldn't find any reference to it when I looked.

Another reason to have a fully searchable or downloadable user manual.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I just searched for 'select parent' on the wiki and found it.
Is the search not working at your end?
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:44 pm I just searched for 'select parent' on the wiki and found it.
Is the search not working at your end?
I must have searched the wrong term/s. For example, searching "up arrow" seems to give limited results, that do not include the bone shortcut.
The search also doesn't scroll to/highlight the result. So even when you find a good result, you still have to scroll down and figure out where it is on the page. A PDF search would skip directly to each result.

Is there any reason a downloadable manual isn't available? Like when working offline?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

That's weird. "Up arrow" still works here to find the shortcuts.
Because of the way the manual is built now, it's not possible to keep a pdf version of it anymore. We know it can be an issue for some users, but the wiki provides many benefits for both the users and the development team (for example, we are constantly updating it and also improving it with the feedback provided here, on Discord and social media), so we decided to go for the wiki.
At the beginning there was a problem with the search (it only worked for titles, but not the content of each article), but luckily that is fixed now.

In case you want to have the 13.5 manual, you can still download it here.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:15 pm That's weird. "Up arrow" still works here to find the shortcuts.
Because of the way the manual is built now, it's not possible to keep a pdf version of it anymore. We know it can be an issue for some users, but the wiki provides many benefits for both the users and the development team (for example, we are constantly updating it and also improving it with the feedback provided here, on Discord and social media), so we decided to go for the wiki.
At the beginning there was a problem with the search (it only worked for titles, but not the content of each article), but luckily that is fixed now.

In case you want to have the 13.5 manual, you can still download it here.
These are the only search results it's showing me:

It's great that the manual can now be continually improved, and most people have continuous internet access. But there are outages, traveling, better searching, or even finances that can make access a problem.
But I also understand that there are very few of you guys doing the work, so I understand not wanting to add to it.