Broken Bezier Handles

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

CSCorbridge

Broken Bezier Handles

Post by CSCorbridge »

So my Bezier Handles stopped functioning across all projects. The bars cannot be altered by angle degree or length to change the curve, and they cannot even be viewed reliably - if you turn the bezier view off, they may or may not return when turned back on. The Bezier has some kind of functionality because when points on a shape are moved, the effect on the shape changes depending on if the "lock bezier" button is either on or off as would normally be expected. I also noticed the "angle" window at the top when using the transform points tool cannot be altered away from "0." I restarted Moho, restarted my computer, even uninstalled and reinstalled Moho 14.1 and now I'm really scared *that* didn't fix it. If a reinstall doesn't do it then what am I doing wrong?? Any ideas what's happening or what I'm failing to notice?
Thanks!!!
SimplSam

Re: Broken Bezier Handles

Post by SimplSam »

Do you know if you have any Custom Scripts installed? Do you still have Moho previous to ver 14 installed and does that still work?
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

CSCorbridge wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:29 pm So my Bezier Handles stopped functioning across all projects....I also noticed the "angle" window at the top when using the transform points tool cannot be altered away from "0."
is this on any frame or just frame 0?
How many points have you got selected when trying to access Bezier handles; and how many when trying to Rotate?
With more than one point selected, can you enter a number in the rotate box (as distinct from scrolling with the mouse)?
Are all the points "peaked" (i.e. curvature = 0)?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi,

If you can upload an example project, someone here can check it for you. Also, mention which release of Moho you’re using. I ran into an issue with locking handles, but haven’t seen this in Moho 14.1. If you’re still using 14.0, be sure to update.

Are you using any third party scripts? Try disabling the scripts and see if this still happens. The easiest way to disable third party tools scripts is to open your Custom Content Folder (See File menu,) go to the Scripts\Tools folder, create a ‘Disabled’ folder there and temporarily drag your scripts to this folder. Then, in Moho, press Shift+Ctrl+Alt+L. This will remove the scripts so you can test the Bezier handles.

If the handles work correctly, then you know there’s a conflict with one of the third party scripts. Figure out which script is causing the problem by systematically re-enabling each script. To re-enable a script, drag the script and its icons back into the Tools folder and use the same shortcut to update the scripts for Moho.

If none of this applies or helps, I think you’ll need to upload an example.
CSCorbridge

Post by CSCorbridge »

[youtube]Thank you all for your questions and willingness to help --> I have no custom scripts installed just the scripts that come stock with the product download. I don't currently have any other versions of Moho. The problem occurs at all points on timeline including frame 0. The same problem exists whether one point or all points on a shape are selected. When more than one point is selected the rotate by angle window in the translate points tool cannot be offset from 0 either by mouse dragging or by manually entering a number (it lets me type the number then it reverts to 0 degrees). Peaks are not pointed. Forgive me, I don't know the best way to upload the Moho project file, if it would be helpful give me a quick pointer - otherwise I made a brief youtube.
Thanks thanks thanks thanks!!! [youtube]https://youtu.be/55KHlYGaBWA[/youtube]
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

To me, it looks like Moho is confused about the visibility state of the handles. Specifically, the points are behaving like the handles are hidden.

I saw this behavior when I used a particular version of a Curvature Tool mod that had its own Show Bezier Handles button. This is why I asked if any third-party tools were in use. Anyway, that mod was fixed for Moho 14.0 and earlier, and Moho 14.1 doesn't need the mod because a similar button was added to the native Curvature tool.

But I do wonder if something similar is going on here, and we need to get Moho to understand that the handles are visible and editable.

Questions: Does this happen all the time on your computer or only in this instance? How are you creating the curves (i.e., which tool?) If you're using Add Point, are you using the new click-only method or the old click-and-drag method? Are you using a mouse or pen? if you're using a pen, make sure you have the latest drivers installed.

Something to try: In Moho 14.1, select the Curvature tool and disable Show Bezier Handles. Then, select the Transform Points tool and re-enable handles in that tool. Does the problem still occur? I'm hoping this resets the active state of the Bezier handles for Moho.

One other thing I can think of: If you're on Windows, check your Windows display setting. If the Windows Scale is set to a value other than 100%, try setting it to 100% and see if that helps. If that works, you may need to make adjustments to your display resolution and scaling. (I've had to do this in the past for other UI reasons.)

Be sure to report what you do and the results. This can help other users experiencing the same problem, and also inform the developers of any fixes they need to add to a future release.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

A word about third party scripts: some (most notably those that extend the functionality of a "factory" tool) use the same name as the factory tool they replace (but, obviously, different code!). This is a major reason for having all third party tools in your custom content folders (and under no circumstances mess with the "program files" directory). From what Greenlaw has just said, it will be worth checking, even though you may not see any obvious third party tools in your tools palette, that all the tools are actual LM_ factory versions - especially the Curvature Tool.
lucasfranca

Post by lucasfranca »

I have noticed this and to solve I have to enter the Curvature tool (which now has the option to show the Handles or not) turn off and then return the traslate points tool. I don’t know if it’s a conflict of functions or something...
An old guy [since 1983] who was raised in front of the TV.
Passionate about animation, after getting old, he decides to make it his hobby.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

https://youtube.com/animai2D
CSCorbridge

Post by CSCorbridge »

YES YES YES YES!!! Thank you all for your assistance and time thinking through my question and taking the time to type a response - so if it comes up again with any other users, Lucasfranca nailed it - hiding/re-revealing the handles from the curvature tool also fixes it in the translate points tool functionality.
Thanks again everyone!
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Wow! Glad that's "explained" -- it's nonetheless a bug IMO... I've logged it as J309.