Does anyone know what Frame-dependent Warping is for?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Panha

Does anyone know what Frame-dependent Warping is for?

Post by Panha »

I once tried a the Create Curver Layer in the Draw menu. I opened the layer setting panel of the curver layer, navigate to "Vector" tab, saw an option called "Frame-dependent Warping". I tried it but did not notice any changes. I tried to find it in the user manual, but did not find it anyway. Does anyone know what Frame-dependent Warping is for? Thank you.
synthsin75

Re: Does anyone know what Frame-dependent Warping is for?

Post by synthsin75 »

With frame-dependent disabled, the points controlled by the mesh are always the points that are within the triangle or quad on frame zero, even if you move the point elsewhere manually. This is generally more stable, since points won't jump around as they move through the influence of multiple mesh triangles/quads. This is new behavior in v14.

With frame-dependent enabled, the points are controlled by whatever triangle or quad they happen to be within on that frame. So if you manually animate them into a different triangle/quad, they may jump at the transition, depending on how warped the neighboring mesh is. This was the behavior of v13.

EDIT: So if you need to do dramatic manual point animation inside a warp mesh, you might want non-frame-dependent. Otherwise, frame-dependent can be more predictable.
Last edited by synthsin75 on Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Panha

Post by Panha »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:33 am With frame-dependent disabled, the points controlled by the mesh are always the points that are within the triangle or quad on frame zero, even if you move the point elsewhere manually. This is generally more stable, since points won't jump around as they move through the influence of multiple mesh triangles/quads. This is new behavior in v14.

With frame-dependent enabled, the points are controlled by whatever triangle or quad they happen to be within on that frame. So if you manually animate them into a different triangle/quad, they may jump at the transition, depending on how warped the neighboring mesh is. This was the behavior of v13.

So if you need to do dramatic manual point animation inside a warp mesh, you might want frame-dependent. Otherwise non-frame-dependent is more predictable.
Thank you, that helps a lot. ❤️
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:33 am With frame-dependent disabled, the points controlled by the mesh are always the points that are within the triangle or quad on frame zero, even if you move the point elsewhere manually. This is generally more stable, since points won't jump around as they move through the influence of multiple mesh triangles/quads. This is new behavior in v14.

So if you need to do dramatic manual point animation inside a warp mesh, you might want frame-dependent. Otherwise non-frame-dependent is more predictable.
Thanks, I didn't know that.

I think I understood but I don't get this part "So if you need to do dramatic manual point animation inside a warp mesh, you might want frame-dependent". Wouldn't the points jump if you do that with frame dependent enabled?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Oops. Thanks Daxel, I edited the post.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:01 pm Oops. Thanks Daxel, I edited the post.
Thanks! Added to my notes. It sounds super useful because I've had problems with the jumping points and the new mode sounds like it's going to held much better against combining meshes other rigging features.