Hiding elements on model when flipping layer

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

gdeadtoo

Hiding elements on model when flipping layer

Post by gdeadtoo »

New to Moho.

I have a Dr character facing left who has a stethoscope on his lab coat. I need to flip the character so he faces right. How do I delete or hide the stethoscope without it disappearing on the facing left model?
slowtiger

Re: Hiding elements on model when flipping layer

Post by slowtiger »

Maybe you can flip the whole character, then flip the stethoscope layer again?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
gdeadtoo

Post by gdeadtoo »

That worked! Didn't even think of that.

Thanks so much!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

1. Go to the frame where you want to hide the stethoscope
2, Double-click the layer to open the Layer Settings
3, Uncheck the visibility. This will create a keyframe in the timeline that hides the layer.

To unhide the layer, you can either check the box or double-click on the channel in the timeline. The later will creat a key where you clicked or, if you click on an existing key, it will toggle its state.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Another appropach is to put the stethoscope inside a Switch layer. To switch it off, switch to an empty drawing. The advantage with this approach is that you can add variations of the stethoscope in different positions and states.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Another: In a single frame, just move the stethoscope off camera.
gdeadtoo

Post by gdeadtoo »

Thanks! This is perfect
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Finally, if you want to change the parenting of the stethoscope to another hand or have the character drop the device: Make multiple copies of the layer and attach each to the different locations. Now, just keyframe the visibility so only one is visible at a given time.

This is an old 'cheat' that I sometimes still use in 3D animation. It's less complicated than keyframing constraints or parenting and it works perfectly in Moho too.

I can describe more tricks on this topic but the above should get you started. :D
gdeadtoo

Post by gdeadtoo »

Thanks again!
gdeadtoo

Post by gdeadtoo »

One more question. Is there a way to delete frames? I have too many frames between two sections. In Adobe Animate it's straightforward. But doesn't seem to be in Moho
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

I'll give an example.

If you have keyframes on frames 8 and 10, and more keyframes on frames 20, 22 and 24, and you want the latter group of keyframes closer to the earlier group, you need to move the latter keyframes. There is no deleting.

Drag your mouse in a box-shape to select the keyframes 20, 22 and 24. The keyframes will turn red while selected. Now, while holding the mouse button down, drag the selected keyframes to the left. When they are relocated to where you want them, click somewhere to de-select the keyframes.
gdeadtoo

Post by gdeadtoo »

Got it, thanks
gdeadtoo

Post by gdeadtoo »

My animation is 16000 frames. I need to move the animation from frame 400 to 350. I have to select everything from 400 to 16000?, but the timeline doesn't move when I select the keyframes and move the mouse to the right. What am I missing?
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

16000 frames? Yikes.

If you had 1500 or so frames, the +/- buttons on the far right of the timeline would help, because you could zoom-out until you could see all the frames. But you can't zoom-out far enough to see frames 1-16000. So, yeh, you have a problem.

If you have the new version, Moho 14, you will see on the timeline 2 buttons that move all the keyframes, selected or not, to the right of the playhead. The buttons are called Push Frames Left and Push Frames Right. Put the playhead on frame 400 and press the Push Frames Left button until all the keyframes have backed-up to where you want them. Super easy.

If you don't have version 14, another option is to select the frames 1-350 and drag them rightward to frames 50-400. Basically, you would be changing things so the animation starts on frame 50. Then go into the Project Settings and change the Start Frame to 50.
gdeadtoo

Post by gdeadtoo »

It's around 10 minutes. I have 14 so I'll look for those buttons.

Thanks