Pink Floyd music video

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slowtiger

Pink Floyd music video

Post by slowtiger »

Just got the confirmation email: I'm part of the official competition https://www.pinkfloyd.com/tdsotm50/competition now. Some may have heard of the conundrum their announcement caused in February since some of their terms were questionable, but they have changed and improved this in the meantime. And they shifted the deadline from Nov 30th to Dec 31st.

I worked on my entry for 2 months straight, making good use of all the brushes I built in TVPaint. All animation and BGs done in TVP, all camera work and especially the muliplane setups in Moho, as I usually do. This is the first time I used depth of field. Also I solved the problem of the endless zoom (the balcony scene) and some other little obstaces.

There's a story to this: After working on this music video for some days, I suddenly remembered that I wanted to do animation to a Pink Floyd song when I was about 15. My very first pop cassette was Dark side of the Moon, I soon bought others from that band. I had totally forgotten about this, and other than which song it was (not this one) I don't remember any details. But it seems fitting that a mere 45 yrs later I have the opportunity to do this. story and animation are abit old-fshioned, but I think this fits a song being half a century old now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KERj9nfEvkk

Other entries (not all, I think) you can watch here, I think they will add mine soon:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0xlDN2cDsm
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
sang820

Re: Pink Floyd music video

Post by sang820 »

:shock: Great animation, I feel how much men miss women.We all grow old and will eventually be reunited with the people we miss, so there is no need to be sad.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Really great work. Good Luck.

p.s. The Playlist link does not work. Looks to be shortened.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Ah thx, corrected.

Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Beautifully conceived and executed
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Since they shifted the deadline a month I thought I could try and do a second competition entry in less time. This one much has some more Moho elements in it, but the drawings and textures are all done in TVPaint as usual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANXB6dHrmpM

The songs' age really shows here, they're not made for the fast MTV-style videos we're used to. Nearly 8 minutes of nothing happens, how would one do a video for that? Well, I took the challenge and here it is. Less drawings than the first one, and in a more sloppy style so it could be done faster. I still used the "moving texture" principle, this time made a bit less flickery by applying dissolves between the drawings.

Some musings:
Right from the start I wanted to avoid anything looking dead or still-standing. So I spent a day for finding the perfect balance between my 2 universal textures: one is a dark cloudy one underneath set to multiply. On top of that a second loop features scanned spots and splashes from real photographs, set to screen. The red line uses a brush and has the right amount of lively flicker. The black pixels outside the line, over the red planet, are a happy accident ("Honor thy error as a hidden intention", Brian Eno). The explosions are hand-drawn as well, notice that there's no banding or other unwanted side effect from using straight gradients.

With a budget and a plan I could've made the red line continuous over all shots, but since this is a personal project I just improvised everything, so the dissolves are good enough (although I think FinalCut default cross dissolves reveal the second shot too early). I think the slowly moving line perfectly fits the organ chords.

Another difference between personal and client project: the basic colours, red and blue, were just chosen once in the beginning and never questioned or varied.

I started animation without knowing how to translate 2/3 of the lyrics into images. I made it up on the go.

In hindsight I coud've made the first video in a much simpler style as well. This one took a bit more than 2 weeks to make.

SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Excellent work. I love the characters and their motions.

Sam
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

Looks great. Also love the background colors and it's movements a lot. It all fits Pink Floyd and the tempo of the song very well I think. If I didn't know it was you who made this I would've even thought this was a 'typical pink floyd' video, although I know basically nothing about them. The video makes you think about the lyrics and the story too. Well done. Especially knowing you did all this in only two weeks!
Adults should play more often
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Thank you!

Since we're at it: I'm so terrible with faces, but Marten, do we know each other from the Berlin Tricktisch?

mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

slowtiger wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:04 pm Thank you!

Since we're at it: I'm so terrible with faces, but Marten, do we know each other from the Berlin Tricktisch?
No worries. I never been there though, so that must have been somebody else. I believe the only time I ever went to Berlin was long time ago when I was still doing graphics for TV and I did a roadshow with a company along European German speaking countries' Media Parks to promote and demo graphics software for the Broadcast Industry there. But that's about it. I'm from The Netherlands BTW. Nice to meet you!
Adults should play more often
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Nice to see they also used your first video as one of the competition promo vids:

Insta (reel):
https://www.instagram.com/p/C1H2e_Er4aF/ (92K Likes)

Tube (short):

Sam
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

At first: yeah ... on the other hand: they cropped and beat it into portrait ratio??? I feel this is kind of insulting ...

SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Unfortunately portrait is the nature of Shorts & Reels, and the manner in which they are expected & consumed. I guess it would have been good if Floyd also linked back to the original full-fat versions.

Sam
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Seems they finally sorted it out, as the playlist is more than 200 entries now, and all entries are there in full (but still contains some portrait teasers). This is about as much entries as I expected beforehand, maybe some more will be added until tomorrow. So far I only found 1 familiar name, had seen a film of him before: Simone Massi, who seems to have a well-established workflow for quite some time now, and I like the style.

It's a nice opportunity to skip through and have a look what others are doing, especially with all that AI stuff.