Moho not rendering using multi cores

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mattyj

Moho not rendering using multi cores

Post by Mattyj »

For some reason Moho 14 is only rendering using one core, and I am not sure why? Any thoughts? Multi cores have been enabled through msconfig on my PC and multi core rendering is ticked in the export window.
Greenlaw

Re: Moho not rendering using multi cores

Post by Greenlaw »

I always use Moho Exporter for rendering because it offers more options and features, but it doesn't display the render bars in its UI . So to check this, I opened Task Manager to monitor how Moho 14.1 used my resources. I saw Moho 14.1 uses all available cores here when using Moho Exporter.

Next, I tried using Export Animation in Moho 14.1. In previous versions, I saw a separate progress bar for each thread displayed, but in 14.1, I saw only one bar displayed here. So I rendered the project again, monitoring the progress in Task Manager. It does look like Moho 14.1 is using all available resources to me.

I'm wondering if Moho is actually rendering with all threads when using Export Animation, but the progress display is broken.

For anyone else here testing, I like to use a reduced size/duration version of Crustacea for render progress/time tests because it's easier to see the time differences between various settings.
Mattyj

Post by Mattyj »

Sweet as I'll try it out thanks Greenlaw
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sure. I'll ask about that single render progress bar. I'm not sure if that's a mistake or if it's now meant to represent the entire render.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

That's odd. I get as many core progress bars during render as I have it set to use in the preferences.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hmm....I'm running a new Export Animation test to write a report to LM, and I'm seeing a different result from this afternoon.

Earlier, I threw together a very simple project with a bunch of shapes tumbling around, not the Crustacea project I described. So a few minutes ago, I ran the Export Animation test using Crustacea, and now I see four render threads. (Using the default.)

Okay, I'm puzzled.

I wonder if my first project was too simple for multi-threaded rendering, and Moho only uses extra threads when it reaches a certain threshold for complexity. I don't know that for a fact, I am just speculating now.

I'll run a few more tests and then ask about it.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

So I cranked it up to 12 threads, and I see 12 threads rendering.

I switched back to the simple project, and now I see multi-threads working with this one, too, using 4 or 12. This is the project that rendered with only 1 thread earlier, even though Moho was set up for 4 threads.

Weird. I don't think I did anything notable to fix this behavior.

Anyway, now I have nothing to write about but will keep an eye on this.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Okay, I tried one more test, and this was a little simpler than my other 'simple' test, and now I see the progress bar for only 1 thread. I do see space in the UI for the other bars, but the bars never appear.

I'm guessing Moho is rendering with multiple threads, but this project is being rendered so quickly that Export Animation isn't able to display all the bars before it's completed, at least on this computer.

So, my guess is that Moho is rendering with multiple threads, but what appears in the status window depends on how complicated the project is. If the task is too simple, Moho doesn't have time to set up and show all the progress bars.