Can I use moho.13.5 if I buy moho14?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

seanmomo1

Can I use moho.13.5 if I buy moho14?

Post by seanmomo1 »

New features in Moho 14 seems nice but looks like is still buggy. Before the bugs are fixed, 13.5 should be great for me. Is that possible to download and install the 13.5 version if I purchase moho 14?

Thank you!
Greenlaw

Re: Can I use moho.13.5 if I buy moho14?

Post by Greenlaw »

Moho 14.0 has some bugs, but the current release is entirely usable for creating animation. I wouldn't depend on it for large productions yet, but for certain types of effects and animations, it stands apart from other programs. In my personal work, I've been using Moho 14 for everything lately, and at my workplace, we're mainly using 12.5, and cautiously using 14.0 only for its unique features.

Having been around longer, Moho 13.5.5 is undoubtedly more stable, but you can have both 13.5.5 and 14.0 installed on the same computer. They are installed into different directories and have unique serial numbers. IMO, there's no reason you can't use both programs on the same projects.

I recommend creating separate Custom Content Folders because some scripts will only run with one or the other version.

Moho 14.0 is just the beginning, and I'm sure we will see regular updates in the future. Before you know it, Moho 14.x will be running well enough that you won't miss 13.5.5. :)

Hope this helps.
seanmomo1

Post by seanmomo1 »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:22 pm Moho 14.0 has some bugs, but the current release is entirely usable for creating animation. I wouldn't depend on it for large productions yet, but for certain types of effects and animations, it stands apart from other programs. In my personal work, I've been using Moho 14 for everything lately, and at my workplace, we're mainly using 12.5, and cautiously using 14.0 only for its unique features.

Having been around longer, Moho 13.5.5 is undoubtedly more stable, but you can have both 13.5.5 and 14.0 installed on the same computer. They are installed into different directories and have unique serial numbers. IMO, there's no reason you can't use both programs on the same projects.

I recommend creating separate Custom Content Folders because some scripts will only run with one or the other version.

Moho 14.0 is just the beginning, and I'm sure we will see regular updates in the future. Before you know it, Moho 14.x will be running well enough that you won't miss 13.5.5. :)

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the detailed answer.

I am sure updates will come and fix the bugs. That's why I am tempted to buy it finally. And I am wondering if 13.5.5 is available for download here on the official site before the update comes?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's a good question. I noticed someone asking the same question on Discord today. I'm sure a separate link for 13.5.5 will be available to registered users eventually, but for now, the reply from LM was to contact them about it through the support page.

Of course, 13.5.5 is only usable if you purchased a license key for it when it was available; the Moho 14 license key will not work with it.
seanmomo1

Post by seanmomo1 »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:54 pm That's a good question. I noticed someone asking the same question on Discord today. I'm sure a separate link for 13.5.5 will be available to registered users eventually, but for now, the reply from LM was to contact them about it through the support page.

Of course, 13.5.5 is only usable if you purchased a license key for it when it was available; the Moho 14 license key will not work with it.
Thank you. If that so I might just wait till the update is out and see if things are fixed! Thank you again.
wsterdan

Post by wsterdan »

seanmomo1 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:30 pm I am sure updates will come and fix the bugs. That's why I am tempted to buy it finally. And I am wondering if 13.5.5 is available for download here on the official site before the update comes?
You might be able to have both and save money.

The upgrade price from 13.5 to 14 is currently $99 (limited time offer, it goes up to $199 after the offer ends... no idea when that happens).

If you purchase 13.5 from Amazon (I think it's $249 US in the US store and $329 CDN in the Canadian store) and update as soon as you have your number you should be able own both for less than the price of just 14.0 Pro if you can upgrade before the limited time offer expires.

-- Walt Sterdan
seanmomo1

Post by seanmomo1 »

wsterdan wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:29 pm
seanmomo1 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:30 pm I am sure updates will come and fix the bugs. That's why I am tempted to buy it finally. And I am wondering if 13.5.5 is available for download here on the official site before the update comes?

The upgrade price from 13.5 to 14 is currently $99 (limited time offer, it goes up to $199 after the offer ends... no idea when that happens).

If you purchase 13.5 from Amazon (I think it's $249 US in the US store and $329 CDN in the Canadian store) and update as soon as you have your number you should be able own both for less than the price of just 14.0 Pro if you can upgrade before the limited time offer expires.

-- Walt Sterdan
Thank you! A lot cheaper buying Moho that way :)
wsterdan

Post by wsterdan »

seanmomo1 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:41 am
wsterdan wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:29 pm

-- Walt Sterdan
Thank you! A lot cheaper buying Moho that way :)
Just confirming that I was able to purchase 13.5 a couple of days ago from Amazon; it arrived today, I installed it and then purchased the upgrade to 14.1, no issues, and cheaper than just buying 14 Pro new (I saved about $100 Canadian).

I don't know how much longer the "limited time" upgrade for $99 will be in play for, but with my past history I wouldn't be surprised if they have another Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale in a couple of weeks for 40% off. :wink:
Panha

Post by Panha »

I miss Moho 13.5.5 already. :D When my project files are large along with some PSD files, Image files, and 3D (with image textures, vector layer) that I made in Moho 13.5.5, Moho 13.5.5 could handle the projects much smoother than Moho 14, I really can see the different. Much smoother. However, without 3D background and particle layer, Moho 14 can run smoother than 13.5.5, and I also love it. :D So if I want to work in Moho 14, I need to test reducing 3D background and particles to see if it run smoothly or otherwise I need to finish the project in Moho 13.5.5. Hope in the next updates, Moho 14 will be able to replace my Moho 13.5.5 entirely without me going back and forth to find the right performance. :D
DigitalDesignDude

Post by DigitalDesignDude »

Will I loose my ability to re-download and use Moho v12.5 if I upgrade it to v14 via the Moho's upgrade offer?

Given how Moho 14 is relatively new, I am concerned that I might need continued access to 12.5 in case I encounter any undiscovered bugs, or if I find an extension that I want to use but hasn't been updated to work with version 14.

There's also not much of a price difference between the upgrade offer and Moho's Black Friday sales from what I found ($199 USD to upgrade versus $240 USD on black Friday). If I still retain access to 12.5 either way, then I'll likely go with the upgrade option.

Thank you for any confirmation on this.
Last edited by DigitalDesignDude on Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Each version has its own license key, so you can keep them all installed and active. I currently keep 12.5, 13.5, and 14.1 installed on my computer.

I've been working in only 14.1 for several months now, and it's reasonably stable. There are a few bugs, but once you figure out the workarounds, it's fine. Both 12.5 and 13.5 are more stable, but I personally find the new features in 14.1 are too useful for me to go back.
DigitalDesignDude

Post by DigitalDesignDude »

Thank you @Greenlaw!

I'm glad I'll still have acess to Moho v12.5 in case I need it, and I look forward to upgrading. :)