found some treasure

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rocky53204

found some treasure

Post by rocky53204 »

Simply a hobbyist, I am nevertheless quite interested in how the pros do animation.
Found this gem at the Internet Archive site. I got lost in this rabbit hole for hours!
You can view artwork, model sheets, turnarounds, animatics, press kits, scripts, and mouth charts there.
Regards, Rocky

[urlhttps://archive.org/details/animation-artwork[/url]
Greenlaw

Re: found some treasure

Post by Greenlaw »

I've gone down this rabbit hole a few times looking for old public-domain footage and music, but I have never seen most of this animation-related material before. Pretty cool stuff!

Thanks for suggesting this resource!
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

That is awesome and it looks legit too. I found something about 'Cow and Chicken' there, which was one of my favourite 'modern' cartoons at the time :) Thanks for sharing

[edit] There's even a 90 minute 3d animation movie there (Free birds) by 20th century fox... is this site really legit? Did 20th century fox create a free movie about birds in 2014 or gave it to this archive like that? These aren't cheap movies to make and the file shared is an ISO of a DVD (and a Torrent link).
https://archive.org/details/freebirds_2 ... EBIRDS.ISO

I also find many youtube videos in there. Like Blender Today episodes and videos by other well known blender youtubers. Did all these people really gave their permission to copy their videos and post it outside of youtube (so the content creator is not able to earn money from Google by them)?

Am I missing something here? Is this really all public domain?
Adults should play more often
rocky53204

Post by rocky53204 »

Copyright can get complicated.
My understanding is that educational use is allowed. (fair use)
That's all I want to use this info for.
https://copyright.psu.edu/2017/05/copyr ... mic-books/
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

mmmaarten wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:15 pm Am I missing something here? Is this really all public domain?
Not necessarily. I've found PD content there, but you should check if the rights are in question.

Before using any material I didn't make myself, I check to be sure I'm cleared to use it. For me, this is usually related to music.

Many years ago, I used music that was originally recorded on a wax cylinder back in the early 1900's and this source had been in PD for many decades. Then, one day, someone who included the same recording on a compilation CD claimed they owned the copyright and contacted me about my use of 'their' recording. I sent an email back explaining that my source was not from their compilation CD, and I never heard from them again. I didn't look further into this matter, but it seemed like they were on shaky ground in their challenge.

For more contemporary stuff, I like to seek out existing recordings by independent musicians and ask about getting the rights to use my personal projects. Sometimes the rights are given with minimal charge so long as I credit them in the work and allow them to use my work to promote theirs. So, it works out well for both of us.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rocky53204

Post by rocky53204 »

If you try a google search for free music you will be swamped with hustles.

Have used Kevin MacLeod royalty free music for years.
Simply mention use in the credits.
Click on his Royalty Free Music tab to see a large collection.
Also review the Music License tab info. (creative commons)

https://incompetech.com/