Installing scripts could be waaay easier

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hoptoad

Installing scripts could be waaay easier

Post by Hoptoad »

Moho should have one folder called "Additional Scripts" and absolutely everything related to custom scripts goes in there. No more multiple folders.

If Moho is unable to differentiate between a menu script and a tool script or whatever, make the script writer provide the information to Moho in the lua file. Please stop relying on animators to make important decisions about what file goes where.

Bruh. Dude. Amigo. It's easier to install Moho itself, which is a huge chunk of powerful software, than install a tiny script that only does one tiny thing.

Bonus idea:

Moho should provide a convenient list for the user of every installed script, and provide 4 options for every script: ACTIVATE, DEACTIVATE, DELETE, and UPDATE SCRIPT. If a newer version of the script becomes available, UPDATE SCRIPT text changes color to let you know.

Thanks.
hayasidist

Re: Installing scripts could be waaay easier

Post by hayasidist »

There is an installer mechanism for scripts that uses a directory structure to put the script in the right place. The script repository will build this for you; and many script writers who curate their own work also provide this installer file as well as the "raw" script / icons / etc.

If you go to Help / About Scripts you'll get a list of all the installed scripts.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Most of the time, a script's bits and pieces are already organized in their intended folder structure, and I just drag the main folder into the Scripts folder in my Custom Content folder and let them go where they're meant to go. If you get your scripts from mohoscripts.com, the option marked Download For Install Script should be organized this way. (I found the second Download option may or may not be set up this way, so I always download with the first one.)

If you want a more automated method, use the Install Script command from under Scripts. This command does the above for you. (So, why don't I use this? I just prefer to see where the stuff is going myself.)

To deactivate a script, create a subfolder in the Tools folder called INACTIVE, DISABLED, or whatever you like. Then, drag the script you want to deactivate into the folder and press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+L. Moho will ignore anything in the subfolder and the shortcut updates the tools windows (among other things. To reactivate it, just drag it out of the folder.

It would be cool to get a more streamlined method of managing scripts. For example, I like how it works in Blender: everything shows up in Preferences to install, activate, and deactivate, and the list can be filtered in different ways.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

hayasidist wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:04 pm There is an installer mechanism for scripts that uses a directory structure to put the script in the right place. The script repository will build this for you; and many script writers who curate their own work also provide this installer file as well as the "raw" script / icons / etc.
Long ago, the first time I tried an installer mechanism, it didn't work. Maybe I did something wrong; I don't know. But ever since, I have avoided installers. I guess I'll try an installer next time.
hayasidist wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:04 pm If you go to Help / About Scripts you'll get a list of all the installed scripts.
Thanks for pointing that out. The list is huge, as it includes the pre-installed ones. But it gives useful information about the scripts, which is nice.
Greenlaw wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:10 pm . . .If you want a more automated method, use the Install Script command from under Scripts. This command does the above for you.
Okay, I checked out Install Script. It appears like I only need to navigate to my Downloads folder and select the folder with the downloaded script, and Moho will do the rest. If that's how it works, I am happy. :D
Greenlaw wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:10 pm . . .If you want a more automated method, use the Install Script command from under Scripts. This command does the above for you.
It would be cool to get a more streamlined method of managing scripts. For example, I like how it works in Blender: everything shows up in Preferences to install, activate, and deactivate, and the list can be filtered in different ways.
I sometimes want to test-drive scripts that look cool, to see if I'll actually use them. But I often won't download them, because I know I'll have to figure-out how to delete them if I don't like them or if I can't figure-out how to use them. Some are complicated.

Yes, a more streamline way of managing scripts would be great.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Tip: The Install Script method does require that the files be pre-organized by the developer. Most scripts I've seen are organized for this, but occasionally, I come across one that is not, so you might want to check if you're not sure.

At mohoscripts.com, that first download button should always have the proper organization.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:17 pm Most scripts I've seen are organized for this, but occasionally, I come across one that is not, so you might want to check if you're not sure.
*Looks guilty*
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

One thing I would like to see is the ability to install directly from a ZIP package file, rather than having to unpack etc. etc.

Would need to keep the old Folder based install aslo, but have the choice.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Panha

Post by Panha »

I have encountered the same pressure when I tried installing the scripts. I use the install scripts command, and some asked me to replace the existing file, mainly because the files that should be in unity folder mostly have the same name. It was hard for me to decide whether I should replace the files or not if I did not use the install scripts command (I had copied and pasted before I know that I could install scripts directly from Moho). When using the install scripts command, I decided to click on Yes to let Moho replace the files. Then I go to the scripts folder, found subfolder name Uninstalled Items x-x-x, most of the time, I removed those files and find that all the scripts still works. I did not know if I did it correctly to remove those Uninstalled Items x-x-x folders, but I think if it is useless, it may help reduce the files scripts size if they are removed, so I removed them.
But after installing some scripts, I found that my shoutcut always get errors and Moho removed the shoutcuts automatically. So I need to back up my shourtcut most of the time, and can not updated new shortcut. After installing some scripts, I found 2 problems happening to my Moho 13.5.5.
Number one is shortcut error (damaged and Moho erases it).
Number two is render crushes (Moho exporter close while the rendering proccess has not been finished. I encountered it a few times recently and I think it because of the conflict in some scripts code, but I don't know which script has the conflic. To go throw all the test of the script would be a painful). :(