Shaded effect is removed in Moho 14

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rayamc

Shaded effect is removed in Moho 14

Post by rayamc »

The shaded effect. The first option in the style effects list in Moho 14, has been removed! It doesn't render when you are trying to use it so it's impossible to edit. I thought this was a bug but I contacted support but it isn't and it renders only for compatibility. How crazy confusing is that!

I myself use the effect all the time. It's almost a deal breaker for me using 14. Now I have to juggle 13.5 and 14. I know it has its issues but I also use Moho for illustration and the shaded effect was great as the gradient too is cumbersome.

I really hope this is brought back soon or removed from the effect menu to avoid confusion. I reinstalled, tried 14 on different OS etc trying to work out why it didn't work.... what a waste of my time. I wonder if there are any other features still in the UI that have been silently dropped from 14?

Moho devs please fix this!

It renders on unselected layers so I can't see why not on the current layer. If it is unsupported *remove it* as it is impossible to setup and edit if you can't see it's effect on screen without swapping layers
hayasidist

Re: Shaded effect is removed in Moho 14

Post by hayasidist »

rayamc wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:40 am The shaded effect. The first option in the style effects list in Moho 14, has been removed! It doesn't render when you are trying to use it so it's impossible to edit. I thought this was a bug but I contacted support but it isn't and it renders only for compatibility. How crazy confusing is that!

It renders on unselected layers so I can't see why not on the current layer. If it is unsupported *remove it* as it is impossible to setup and edit if you can't see it's effect on screen without swapping layers
Shaded is still there. It renders correctly (exporter). What isn't there is real time display / update on the canvas in the active layer. You'll see it on unselected layers if you have the "GPU cache" option selected because, rather than trying to do a real-time update on unselected layers, Moho renders unselected (inactive) and caches the result. And you'll see it in the preview panel (but in a default shape). What would be useful is to have the image in the preview panel based on the selected shape (and not on the default circle).

There are a few such effects that the new graphics engine can't handle in real time canvas display. I'd love to see that list being reduced but ...
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Removing the shaded effect would be a huge problem for me, 90% of my scenes use it somewhere and I don't plan on stopping using it.

I just can't fully believe that's the plan until I read something official because it doesn't make much sense to remove something so basic and used that is actually working fine, just not displaying on the workspace. Even if that is not fixable, it's still way better to have it at least on render. My optimistic guess is that they may be trying to say they are not going to fix this shaded effect so they are keeping it for compatibility so we can still have a shaded effect while they finish working on the new shaded effect that will come in a .x version.

At this point I would really appreciate if someone from Moho could chime in to clarify this because I think most of us are going to be worried and confused about this news.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I'm really confident that there's no plan to remove the shaded shape effect.

It just doesn't always show in the workspace, likely as an unintended side effect of improvements to the workspace display.
Hopefully LM will be able to address this in a point release down the road.
rayamc

Post by rayamc »

Support got back to me and said it IS a bug and IS being fixed

For some reason they thought I was talking about a completely different thing to do with masks and shadows though I would have thought that saying the shaded effect in the style menu was sufficient to pin point it :-)

Sorry for the confusion!

Fix on it's way
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Well, I'm glad it was confirmed it was a misunderstanding. It just didn't make any sense. The workspace looks better than ever but I'm confident it's going to look amazing after a few patches.