How to do relative keyframe adjustments for bone key frames

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

peng

How to do relative keyframe adjustments for bone key frames

Post by peng »

I noticed that relative keyframes only works for points, but not for bones, is there a way to use the relative keyframe for bone positions?
Daxel

Re: How to do relative keyframe adjustments for bone key frames

Post by Daxel »

Yes, you can use this script by A. Evseeva. I love the relative animation feature specially for bones so I keep this script just for when I want to use it with bones.

https://mohoscripts.com/script/ae_transform_bone
peng

Post by peng »

Thank you, but it seems its not compatible with ver 14
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

peng wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:09 pm Thank you, but it seems its not compatible with ver 14
It is compatible, I'm using it with Moho 14.
peng

Post by peng »

i cannot find the icon image inside the zip file. after install also no icon displayed. is there a youtube video teaching us how to use it?
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

peng wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:09 pm i cannot find the icon image inside the zip file. after install also no icon displayed. is there a youtube video teaching us how to use it?
Yeah, no icon scripts should look like a question mark icon in the tool panel. For this one to show up you have to be on a bone layer. Mouse hovering over the icon with the question mark should give you a pop up hint with "Transform Bone" (in case you have more than one question mark icon).

If you want it to have an icon, I think you can use the copy original icons of the Transform Bone tool (somewhere on the installation directory), paste them into the scripts/tool folder, and change the names of the files (only these icons) to have the name of the script instead of the original name, so ae_transform_bone instead of lm_transform_bone.

The original tools with the icons are probably in C:\Program Files\Moho 14\Resources\Support\Scripts\Tool.

You can then modify those icons if you want, adding a little something with paint to differenciate them.
peng

Post by peng »

OMG thank you so much. it works. It solves so many of my problems. Thank you Daxel. Moho community rocks!
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I'm glad it helped!
Panha

Post by Panha »

Daxel wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:05 am Yes, you can use this script by A. Evseeva. I love the relative animation feature specially for bones so I keep this script just for when I want to use it with bones.

https://mohoscripts.com/script/ae_transform_bone
Is there any updates to the scripts? I tried it twice already. While I were on the tool of the scripts, it slow down Moho. But the scrips is very useful and important.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Panha wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:44 pm
Is there any updates to the scripts? I tried it twice already. While I were on the tool of the scripts, it slow down Moho. But the scrips is very useful and important.
I'm not having that issue here, no slowdowns selecting this script. If you are sure the problem is with this script and not something else like the specific moho file you are working with or something else, I guess you could try to contact its creator A. Evseeva and tell her about the problem and the Moho version you are using, operative system etc.

In the linked website you can check the last time each script was updated.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Normally, Moho should be very zippy. It's one of many reasons I prefer using Moho to other 2D puppet animation programs.

Whenever I do experience a slowdown, I immediately suspect an unwanted negative keyframe. This is a rare error where Moho will insert a keyframe thousands of frames before frame 0. I think the slowdown is caused by Moho evaluating all the frames between the negative keyframe and frame 0, in addition to the normal keyframes above frame 0. I haven't seen this error for many years, but I occasionally hear about it from other users.

Fortunately, the fix is easy. Just install and run this script:

Find And Delete Negative Keyframes

Tip: Be sure to run this on a copy of your project. If it finds negative keyframes, let the script delete them, then save your project. The project should run much faster now (as fast as it should anyway.)

I hope this helps.
Panha

Post by Panha »

Greenlaw wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:39 pm Normally, Moho should be very zippy. It's one of many reasons I prefer using Moho to other 2D puppet animation programs.

Whenever I do experience a slowdown, I immediately suspect an unwanted negative keyframe. This is a rare error where Moho will insert a keyframe thousands of frames before frame 0. I think the slowdown is caused by Moho evaluating all the frames between the negative keyframe and frame 0, in addition to the normal keyframes above frame 0. I haven't seen this error for many years, but I occasionally hear about it from other users.

Fortunately, the fix is easy. Just install and run this script:

Find And Delete Negative Keyframes

Tip: Be sure to run this on a copy of your project. If it finds negative keyframes, let the script delete them, then save your project. The project should run much faster now (as fast as it should anyway.)

I hope this helps.
The slow down happens sometimes to me even when I cleared all the negative keyframe. I think the problem does not come from one reason. There maybe some other problems such as driver, and the user setting in Moho that I may missed. I have tried to change the setting and other things that I think can cause the slow down of Moho, but still it happens sometimes, However, it most of the time performce better. I noticed that characters whose bones has color can slow my Moho files down. I think because it creates extra color key in the timeline while animating. So I most of the time do not color my bones. :)
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Panha wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:29 am
The slow down happens sometimes to me even when I cleared all the negative keyframe. I think the problem does not come from one reason.
Oh if the slowdown is present without using the script my guess is that it was just coincidental and the number one most frecuent cause for slowdowns are corrupted references (negative keyframes would be the second in my experience). It's an old problem that has an easy workarround: delete the references and create them again, problem solved. That's the more secure clean way to do it, but it's usually enough to just sync all channels to the original.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Panha wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:29 am However, it most of the time performce better. I noticed that characters whose bones has color can slow my Moho files down. I think because it creates extra color key in the timeline while animating. So I most of the time do not color my bones. :)
I prefer to disable Color Bones from appearing in the Timeline. Although I've never tested this theory, I always assumed that unnecessarily displaying hundreds (thousands?) of keys in the Timeline could affect UI performance.

To disable Color Bones in the timeline, follow the Color Bones instructions in my video here at TC 8:54:

Better Defaults

IMO, this data is unnecessary for animation except for rare situations. (To be honest, in 10 years of using Moho, I've never run into such a situation.) Note that doing this does not mean you can't use color bones in the workspace, it just removes the data from the timeline. (I use color bones in my rigs all the time.)

I hope this helps. As mentioned, I've never had performance issues with Moho, even when I made Scareplane in 2014 on a small Intel Core 2 laptop with 4GB RAM. If it's not negative keyframes, I would suspect the project needs some serious file or rigging optimization, but I'm just guessing right now since I've not seen the files or examples.

I just thought of something: Are you using complicated Vitruvian Bones setups? I use Vitruvian Bones to swap out simple sub-rigs, like switching between jointed limbs to noodle limbs, and haven't experienced a slowdown, but some users have reported slowdowns when using more complex setups. If that's the case, you might want to optimize the Vitruvian Bones or use an alternative technique like Victor's old rig-swapping technique.

I hope you get this slowdown problem solved soon. Under normal circumstances, Moho is a fun and very useful program.