Rendered brush strokes lose transparency and detail?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Fuzatoon

Rendered brush strokes lose transparency and detail?

Post by Fuzatoon »

Every brush I have tried renders almost like it is coming through an 4-bit alpha channel or something... Is this a known issue or am I missing a setting somewhere?
Daxel

Re: Rendered brush strokes lose transparency and detail?

Post by Daxel »

I noticed mostly antialiasing problems with the brushes. They seem to render well only if the stroke is thick enough (pretty thick actually), otherwise I see them pixelated. I never used brushes before but I remember reading about this problem years ago so I think it is a known issue.

I really hope they are able to make brushes render well for thiner strokes because right now I just can't use them. I never use strokes that thick. And I would love to be able to use brushes now because the line boil option is actually amazing and the fact that you can set it so it only boils when the drawing is moving is genius. One of the most realistic and convincing FBF feeling effects I have seen. It would be so nice to be able to use it for vector lines too, or have brushes rendering improved.
Fuzatoon

Post by Fuzatoon »

Good to know! Thanks!
Just did another quick test and it seems much better now... Here is what I was getting last night. Left side is viewport...

Will test again tonight...

EDIT: Sorry, dunno what's up with that link :/
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Link to the JPEG
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Wow, that's quite a difference! I'm glad to hear it's working better for you now, but which brush or style is that? I'm curious to try here when I get a chance.

I've only tried a few of the new styles, and, FWIW, they looked reasonably close in the viewport to the final rendered look. I really don't know what could cause the big difference as shown above. Any idea what caused that?
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

🤔 For me, it simply seems too similar as when you apply the Sketchy shape effect to a brush? To prove a point:

A very interesting effect from my POV (when used intentionally, of course :lol:). Not sure how you could end up applying to all cases, though... but if you where experimenting with Styles... Anyway, one couldn't tell for sure without seeing the file, so just guessing!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ah, ok! I didn't realize that was intentional.

Thanks for the explanation, and yes, very interesting! I really need to spend more time playing with that. :D
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Fuzatoon wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:12 pm
Just did another quick test and it seems much better now... Here is what I was getting last night. Left side is viewport...
Oh no, that's not what I was talking about, sorry. And yeah Rai Lopez explanation is good.
Fuzatoon

Post by Fuzatoon »

Ohhhh, wow. Okay. That explains it for sure :P
So i guess that's like a post effect. Good to know!
Thanks everyone and sorry for the false alarm :oops:
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Daxel wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:21 am I noticed mostly antialiasing problems with the brushes. They seem to render well only if the stroke is thick enough (pretty thick actually), otherwise I see them pixelated...
About your antialiasing /pixalated issue... I don't think I see the same problem. Do your have an example file - that others can check?
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

SimplSam wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:51 am
Daxel wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:21 am I noticed mostly antialiasing problems with the brushes. They seem to render well only if the stroke is thick enough (pretty thick actually), otherwise I see them pixelated...
About your antialiasing /pixalated issue... I don't think I see the same problem. Do your have an example file - that others can check?
Yes I made a new post to not go off topic here.
viewtopic.php?t=36417