Linear cycle changes back to smooth

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

Re: Linear cycle changes back to smooth

Post by Daxel »

Greenlaw wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:28 pm Just asking because I don't see a situation where I would need this, but when would I choose Cycle as my default Interpolation mode?

Normally, Cycle is a specialty mode that I apply to existing 'non-cycling' keys. I don't think I'd ever begin with a Cycle key and use it all the time.

(FYI, I leave it on Use Previous Key almost all the time. I only change the default to something else when I run into a special situation.)
No, I don't think there is a situation where we may need to choose Cycle as our default interpolation mode, but when the letters are red, they are no longer refering to the default interpolation mode but to the interpolation mode of the selected keyframe, so even if we say that "cycle" doesn't need to appear as an option for the default interpolation, it needs to appear in the selected interpolation and its dropdown menu to be able to be selected and to see the selected cycle interpolation correctly as cycle.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ah! I think I understand what's being discussed now. I'll look again with the proper context in mind.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. :D
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Okay, I see what you guys mean now and where the confusion comes in.

I normally don't pay attention to what the Default list says because I literally just set it and forget it, and I only pay attention to the keyframes in the timeline when I'm animating.

I did notice that in Moho 14, the Default list changes to red when I select an existing keyframe and that it reflects the selected keyframe's mode, but that didn't seem important and I ignored it. Now that I'm thinking about it, the feedback does seem weird because it has nothing to do with default settings, and this new behavior doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know by looking at the timeline.

With the current behavior, I also understand how not seeing Cycle appear in the Default Interpolation list when a Cycle keyframe is selected looks wrong. Hmm.

I'm not sure this new 'selected keyframe feedback' mode in the Default Interpolation Mode list is even necessary, as the fact that I completely ignored it till now illustrates. It's just confusing.

TBH, if this new behavior went away in a future update, I don't think I'd miss it. :D
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Greenlaw wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:23 pm
TBH, if this new behavior went away in a future update, I don't think I'd miss it. :D
Hmm I understand your point but I think I like it. Specially for begginers, being able to know what interpolation each keyframe has without knowing the keyframe icons and being able to change it without right-clicking or opening the keyframe panel is nice I think, and doesn't take extra space. And the GUI implementation with the red letters is not bad. The color made me understand instantly that it was refering to the selected keyframe. I would of course add the cycle option (only on selected KF mode) and I would make Moho open the KF panel automatically when the user changes a KF to "cycle" there.

Maybe something similar could help begginers to more easily understand the style panel, with the "SHAPE" in red when the panel is refering to the selected shape. It's faster to notice and to understand I think, and many have a lot of problems with that.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Maybe...but right-clicking on a keyframe opens an expanded version of the list, plus a lot more options, so I don't see much advantage in selecting from the Default interpolation list.

Right now, selecting from the Default Interpolation list is the same physical action but with fewer options to choose from.

Plus, I think giving the Default Interpolation list this additional behavior confuses the primary purpose of the feature, which is to set the default mode.

Or...maybe it just needs a little more work, and it will be fine. :D
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

hayasidist wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:18 pm
synthsin75 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:13 pm
hayasidist wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:46 pm Y' know - I've never actually thought too hard about this before ... but that actually begs the question about which key's interpolation kicks in at the point that the cycle restarts -- the one immediately before the "cycle" key or the one immediately before the point that the cycle jumps back to?
I assume the interpolation that's "in progress" wherever the cycle picks up.
I've just run a few tests (using a diagnostic tool that logs values at each frame and feeds them into a spreadsheet) and it looks to me that it's the interpolation in the key that is before the "loop back to" frame...

IOW if we have: smooth / return point / linear / cycle back on frames 1, 5, 20, 30

then on the first pass it's smooth 1-20, linear 21-30

and the first cycle is (add 31-5=26 to ...) smooth 5-20, linear 21-30
Yep, that's what I assumed.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:23 pm I'm not sure this new 'selected keyframe feedback' mode in the Default Interpolation Mode list is even necessary, as the fact that I completely ignored it till now illustrates. It's just confusing.

Well, it's probably an easier way to change selected keyframe interpolation than right-click or keyframe menu. It least for pens.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

synthsin75 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:17 am Well, it's probably an easier way to change selected keyframe interpolation than right-click or keyframe menu. It least for pens.
Yes - I use this as default now - as opposed to right-click or the keyframe panel. And that is predominantly with a mouse.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam