XP-Pen Glitchy with Windows Ink (Moho 14)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Fuzatoon

XP-Pen Glitchy with Windows Ink (Moho 14)

Post by Fuzatoon »

So things are glitchy ((zooming/rotating canvas - Resizing right-side dock)). All is fine when Windows Ink is disabled in the XP Pen settings. BUT I lose pressure sensitivity :( I saw elsewhere that "Let me use my pen as a mouse in some desktop apps" should be unchecked but it already was.

I thought i could live with the glitchy rotate and zoom by releasing the modifier key after the action is initiated. But resizing the dock will usually lead to all clicks being blocked. From mouse or stylus. Can't even click on the save dialog box and have to use keyboard to close :?

Hopefully there's a setting I'm missing :shock:
Fuzatoon

Re: XP-Pen Glitchy with Windows Ink (Moho 14)

Post by Fuzatoon »

UPDATE:
I updated the XP Pen drivers and the zoom and canvas rotation shortcuts are no longer glitching with Windows Ink active. But resizing the left docking panel still makes the interface stop registering clicks. Keyboard functions continue to work. Even after doing ctrl-n and getting a new document clicks still do not work (stylus or mouse.

At some point, ALT dragging to resize stopped working with and without Windows Ink. I noticed the Style panel was closed. Opening it seemed to fix it(??) Wasn't able to reproduce the problem tho.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm not sure this will help, but if you're on Windows, open Bluetooth & Devices > Pen & Windows Ink Settings > Additional Pen Settings and disable Let Me Use My Pen As A Mouse. In beta testing, I learned I had to disable this option to get the pens to work properly for my Wacom Cintiq display tablet and my Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio tablet. This was the case for other testers using XP-Pen and Huion devices as well. Before releasing Moho 14, Lost Marble fixed the issue with Use Pen As Mouse, and I no longer had to disable this option, but I'm uncertain that the fix also works for XP-Pen tablets.

If your XP-Pen tablet works properly with Use Pen As Mouse disabled, let me know, and I'll let the devs know so they can take another look at the fix.

Hope this helps.

If I get a chance this weekend, I have an XP-Pen tablet and a Huion tablet here that I can test with Moho 14. (I haven't tested with these devices yet because they're not currently hooked up.)

Note: if disabling Use Pen As Mouse does not help, you can turn it back on. This means the issue is related to something else. When I get a chance, I'll try my XP-Pen here and let you know how it goes.
Fuzatoon

Post by Fuzatoon »

Thanks, Greenlaw :)
I had the "...use as mouse setting" off but turned it on just to see what happened and there was no change. So I guess that setting is probably fixed but there is something else going on(?)

This new XP Pen driver seems to have fixed everything but the resizing of the right-hand dock (mouse works fine for now tho)... I've really only been setting up shortcuts and stuff so haven't explored too far yet to find any other glitches... If you do get a chance to test your XP Pen and decide to update the driver, you might want to get the next to latest. The latest version crashed on me a few times after clicking to add a app.

btw- Just getting back into Moho after hardly touching it in 4yrs or so. Your posts on here have been a big help with me getting back up to speed... Thanks again!
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

My XP Pen Pro 13 behaves badly (as in 1st post) even after update to latest driver: 3.4.9.

Workspace adjustments: Issue only affects when used with a short-cut long-press modifier key. Selecting the workspace tool, then adjustment is OK.

Resizing the layer panel width is glitchy as hell and gets kinda stuck in that mode, but appears to break-out if I double-tap the pen. I am sure we had a previous similar problem resizing the layer-panel when using the mouse before.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

@Fuzatoon,

I'm glad to hear you got it working somewhat better.

Just to be sure, what do you mean by "resizing the right-hand dock?" Do you mean the main Moho window?

FWIW, I like to keep the Style window and Actions undocked to maximize the Layer Window's vertical height. This works fine because these windows are only in use at the early stages, and I keep them closed most of the time to reduce screen clutter. I also keep the Tools window undocked so I can move it closer to the area I"m working in. (I cover other UI optimization tips in this video:Better Default Settings. This was created for Moho 12.5 but the tips should mostly still apply to Moho 14. (I'm planning to redo this video for Moho 14 with additional tips.))

Anyway, try undocking some windows to see if this helps anything. If the above doesn't make a difference, try undocking the Timeline and/or the Layers window.

Oh! Before doing this, see if changing any Windows display settings helps. In the past, I found that setting Windows scaling to non-standard values can cause display/UI issues. Some of the issues and solutions were discussed in this recent thread:

UI interface - can icons be displayed larger?

Hope this helps.
Fuzatoon

Post by Fuzatoon »

Thanks guys!

@SimplSam
This sounds closer to what I am experiencing now. But since updating the driver, I no longer have to release the modifier key after initiating zoom/rotate with the pen's rt-click... I can now click to get out of the resizing of the docking edge by clicking too. Not sure what changed since that didn't seem to be helped by the updated driver:? Previously I was clicking all over the place with both pen and mouse and couldn't get out of resizing.
---------------------------------
@GreenLaw
I'm referring to the section along the right side of the screen that contains the Style and Layers panels and dragging the left edge of it that separates it from the canvas and timeline. I tried closing and undocking the Style panel but got the same results (also with the tools palette)... I'm running on a 15.6" at 1920x1080 but tried toggling through the "system" and "system enhanced" just to see if anything changed.

I remember that Vimeo video from years ago being helpful :) Will check it out again. And yeah, would love to see how you would update it!
-----------------------

I appreciate the suggestions and observations :) What's left of the problem isn't really getting in my way now but I'm thinking it may be a symptom of a bigger problem(?) Will post about any other glitchy tablet behavior that comes up