Moho not responding

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mattyj

Moho not responding

Post by Mattyj »

Hey guys,

We have an older PC rig, with an older i7, gtx 1080 and 32gb RAM. Moho really seems to be struggling to open a relatively short and simple animation file, which does have a couple of image layers but all of the animation is done using vectors. Do you think there is any chance the file is corrupted? Or is our PC merely not powerful enough to handle Moho 14 efficiently?

Cheers,

Matt
Daxel

Re: Moho not responding

Post by Daxel »

Mattyj wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:33 pm Hey guys,

We have an older PC rig, with an older i7, gtx 1080 and 32gb RAM. Moho really seems to be struggling to open a relatively short and simple animation file, which does have a couple of image layers but all of the animation is done using vectors. Do you think there is any chance the file is corrupted? Or is our PC merely not powerful enough to handle Moho 14 efficiently?

Cheers,

Matt
Your PC is old but is not too old to run Moho. And it is poweful enough to run Moho reasonably well. I think something is wrong with that file, or some Moho 14 bug is affecting that file. But it could be related to drivers or any other software problem.

Was the file made in a different Moho version?

Is Moho struggling to open the file or to work with the file? Is it opening? Can you share it? Have you tried to open different moho files?

What OS are you using?
Mattyj

Post by Mattyj »

Cheers heaps for your reply Daxel,

Yes the file was created in Moho 13.5, and I did wonder about that too. I will check in with the support team and see what they say. Ill also check our Driver status too.

We are on Windows 10.

Thanks heaps again,

Matt
sang820

Post by sang820 »

:shock: It seems that Moho14 will be a watershed, and 13.55 users are trembling. I will use version 14 for future projects instead of mixing with 13.55. There was a lot of material to recreate. But 14’s new features are well worth it.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Any time a Moho project bogs down, the first thing I suspect is distant negative keyframes. I haven't encountered this error for ages, but it's worth checking.

To check and fix this, install and run Synthsin75's Find And Delete Negative Keyframes script.

Note: I haven't tested this script with Moho 14 yet, but can check tonight.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I have been using M14 daily for a personal family project I started in M13.5 and I haven't had any issue.

This is a cheap speculation based on the fact that I'm not having issues working with a complex but only vectorial project and both of the users that talked about issues were working with simple projects but with images: maybe the problem is related to images or meshes, some incompatibility problem between M13.5 and 14.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Daxel wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:59 am ...maybe the problem is related to images or meshes, some incompatibility problem between M13.5 and 14.
That's very possible. I animated images in 12.5 all the time, but I have to confess, I did less of that in Moho 13.5.5 and hardly any in Moho 14 (yet.)

General tip re: custom meshes and images...

Custom meshes work great in Moho, but if they're overly dense and also deformed by bones, they can drag Moho's performance to a crawl. This performance is degraded further when the image resolution is super-high.

I try to keep my meshes as lean and clean as possible, and image size only as high as necessary in a given shot, and Moho has been pretty happy with that.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, one more thing to consider: Moho's performance can be improved by adjusting the Display preview settings.

The first thing I would try is disabling or enabling GPU Caching in 14 or Open GL Acceleration in earlier versions. (For optimizing performance with large image layers, it should be on, but try both.)

Next, disable preview options you don't need to see while animating. If you disable them from the preview settings in the workspace, the options will still be visible in your final render. If you're uncertain about this, you can always check with Ctrl-R.

Good luck!
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattyj

Post by Mattyj »

Thanks heaps for everyone’s responses, really appreciated.

I opened the file this morning and started reworking it in Moho 13.5.5 as it is a file created in that version. It worked fine, I also turned off GPU acceleration as you suggested Greenlaw and that seemed to speed things up slightly, I may do the same in 14. Is there anyway for us to check if a file is corrupt? I opened a ticket with the support team yesterday afternoon, and havent heard from them as of yet, they may just be super busy with stuff around the new version.

Matt
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Re: GPU Caching in Moho 14...

Just to be clear, I haven't fully tested GPU Caching in Moho 14, and what I wrote above is based on my past experience with GPU Acceleration in Moho 13.5.5 and earlier.

In Moho 13.5.5 and earlier, GPU Acceleration (as it was called in these versions) worked better enabled for some projects and better disabled for others. It typically depended on the type of content and rigging that was in effect. I usually kept GPU Acceleration disabled in 13.x and earlier because my masking techniques tended to look more accurate this way. That's changed with Moho 14 because masking effects now look better and more accurate with GPU Caching enabled. But I'm unsure how GPU Caching in Moho 14 affects other reasons I kept this option disabled.

So, the rules are different in Moho 14...different enough to prompt Lost Marble to give the feature a different name.

I suggest experimenting with different display settings with each project you open or create in Moho 14 to see what works best. That's what I'll be doing. :D