A feature to fix the "2 smartbone animation breaks problem!

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kgeetvcartoons

A feature to fix the "2 smartbone animation breaks problem!

Post by kgeetvcartoons »

Can we have a feature that can fix when you use 2 smartbones at the same time, usually a facial animation. The animation distorts and or breaks all together? Is there a work around or way to solve this?
Greenlaw

Re: A feature to fix the "2 smartbone animation breaks problem!

Post by Greenlaw »

There's KuzKuz's very clever Mix Smart Bones technique. I use this at work sometimes. There's also a tool that sets this up automatically but I suggest learning how to do it manually so you understand what it's doing. It can make troubleshooting the script results much easier.

Most of the time, I just avoid setting up Smart Bone Actions that will conflict. I can usually do this by splitting my vertical and horizontal movements between point animation, bones and layer transforms. Actually, this is what I do most of the time for the rigs we use in our TV shows and it works just fine.
concavepgons

Re: A feature to fix the "2 smartbone animation breaks problem!

Post by concavepgons »

One of the ways I got around this situation was to use Smart Warp Layers. You can create a box over each individual facial feature and then distort that box for a character's head turnaround. Doing it like this will prevent the facial features from breaking apart when the head turns as long as the layer stays within the bounds of the Smart Warp.

(I think this works because Moho applies Smart Warp distortions after Smart Bone distortions).