UI interface - can icons be displayed larger?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Easedale

UI interface - can icons be displayed larger?

Post by Easedale »

I've just upgraded to Moho 14.
I run Moho across two displays, a Wacom Cintiq 16 display tablet and an AOC 2470 24" monitor.

Both are set at the recommended 1920 X 1080 resolution.
The AOC is set with Text and Apps enlargement at 100%.
The Cintiq is set with Text and Apps enlargement at 150%.

I keep some windows (layers, timeline, style and actions) on the AOC screen to make the display tablet less cluttered.

With 13.5 and now 14 the text and icons are really small. I real eyestrain for someone like me with aging sight.
I've changed the Text and Apps settings to AOC 125% and Cintiq 175%.
But even at that the actual toolbox icons are really small.

So, is there any way to change the size of the icons in the interface?...
...or do I need to start experimenting with resolution?

Are there any plans to build in a choice of GUI icon sizes in the future?

Thanks to anyone who gives time to reading this.
synthsin75

Re: UI interface - can icons be displayed larger?

Post by synthsin75 »

Have you tried "Use large fonts" in the preferences?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I too wish Moho could be more flexible about its UI display options. I run Moho on several devices with different types of displays, and I spend a lot of 'trial-and-error' time getting Moho to look as usable as possible on each device...and sometimes never getting it quite right. The windows and palettes are displayed either too big or too small. We really an in-between option or something fully scaleable.

I know changing the core of Moho to accommodate modern high-def display devices is a big challenge, but I would love to see this done for future versions of Moho. Seriously, I would pay an upgrade fee just to get that! :D
Easedale

Post by Easedale »

synthsin75 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:23 pm Have you tried "Use large fonts" in the preferences?
Thanks. I think that is what I’ve done by changing the size of the font to 175%.
It makes it more readable, but the icons are not that much bigger.
Easedale

Post by Easedale »

Greenlaw wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:40 pm I too wish Moho could be more flexible about its UI display options. I run Moho on several devices with different types of displays, and I spend a lot of 'trial-and-error' time getting Moho to look as usable as possible on each device...and sometimes never getting it quite right. The windows and palettes are displayed either too big or too small. We really an in-between option or something fully scaleable.

I know changing the core of Moho to accommodate modern high-def display devices is a big challenge, but I would love to see this done for future versions of Moho. Seriously, I would pay an upgrade fee just to get that! :D
Thanks for your thoughts and observations. So going on with you are stating, there doesn’t seem to be a way to increase the size of icons beyond what I’ve done. Nothing inherent in the program.
I agree with you, I would pay an upgrade fee to have a more flexible user interface with some choice on size of icons and colour of skins.

The workaround I have used in the past is to make shortcut tool bars of all my most common tools with the Wacom display tablet. I shall now go back and set this up for Moho, 14.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Easedale wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:26 am
synthsin75 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:23 pm Have you tried "Use large fonts" in the preferences?
Thanks. I think that is what I’ve done by changing the size of the font to 175%.
It's an option in the Moho preferences.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi Easedale,

The only solution I've found is to pick an odd screen resolution that will split the difference between the button sizes, but it's not a practical solution because this can cause other UI issues, and it can make other programs look off.

On 'standard' sized computer display set to 1920 x 1080, Moho looks and works fine, but using Moho on devices with a small displays (like a small tablet computer or laptop) or very large displays with high-pixel density, it's been very frustrating.

In my case, Moho looks fine on my full-size Cintiq but it's either too small or too big on my 14.4-inch Surface Laptop Studio. I opted for 'too big' for the Surface so I can at least see the tool icons, but this also means the workspace is now a bit tiny.

Sorry, I have no real solution to offer, just letting you know this has been a problem with certain types of displays for a while. To be fair, Lost Marble has improved how Moho scales its UI, but it still needs work.

I'm quite sure they're aware of the problem, and working on it for a future release.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi Wes,

Here's a crazy thought: do you know if I create my own set of button icons at an in-between size (say, 36 x 30,) will this force Moho to draw the Tools window at an in-between size? Or will this just make the Tools window look weird?

Not that I have time to re-size every existing tool button; I'm just wondering. :D
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I doubt it. Even with larger icons, I think it just shows what fits in the available space.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Shoot, I hoped the window would scale to the size of the buttons. Oh, well.

Thanks for the reply. :)
Easedale

Post by Easedale »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:35 am
Easedale wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:26 am
It's an option in the Moho preferences.
Thanks. I hadn’t noticed that. I’ve tried that and it does make the text bigger for the menus that appear on my display tablet, but it doesn’t change the size of the icons. It doesn’t seem to have any impact on the text in the windows/dockers I put on the other screen.

Thanks for your thoughts and support to both of you. I think the best way forward is a compromise between changing the text size settings in windows itself, learning the keyboard, shortcuts for common actions and setting up graphical keyboard shortcuts with my display tablet. All part of the fun!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, the option in Preferences is only for text, and it doesn't affect all the text in the UI. I avoided this option in previous releases of Moho because it can make some panel layouts look funky. I don't know if this is still the case in Moho 14.

Basically, two button sizes are available for the Tools window (tiny and large), and you can't choose which one Moho will display. I'm unsure how Windows and Moho decide which button set to use. Note to Lost Marble: It would be great if users could choose which one to display and if there was a third in-between size option. Thanks for listening, guys! :D
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

As far as I know, the large icons are only used in beginner mode in Debut.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hmm. I found that the Tools window can double in size with some display configurations, which is way too huge on almost any display. The rest of the UI looks normal, so I assumed Moho Pro was switching to the 2X button icons for this. But I don't know if that's what it's really doing...I only know that it covers up too much of my screen space when it does this.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

@Easedale,

By the way, it's possible to get Windows to override the Windows scaling for a specific program. The feature is not very well documented, and I've only gotten it to work suitably years ago when I had a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 tablet computer.

Here's a YouTube video with an example of how it works...

The user who made the video is applying the changes directly to the original .exe, but it's probably wiser to do this to a shortcut instead. There's also an option he's not using at the top of the Program Properties window that has an effect.

Just mentioning this in case you want to experiment with these options. Let me know if you get it to work for you and which options you used. I may mess around with this later today for my Surface Laptop Studio. (Depending on my display settings, Moho tends to be too big or too small on this computer.)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.