Moho 14 is finally here!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kmvassey

Re: Moho 14 is finally here!

Post by kmvassey »

Hey y'all!

I just wanted to jump in on the love for the new update. Huge congratulations to the team and thank you for all the hard work. I can't wait to dig in even more. :D
Kaye Vassey (she/her)
Senior Animation Manager

Movie Credits
LinkedIn
Art Instagram
lazyroll

Post by lazyroll »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:34 pm
lazyroll wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:09 pm Too expensive to upgrade for 13, meh. I thought newly purchased V13 owners will get free upgrade even... Sadly. No grace period = bad move.
IMO, $99 for upgrading from 13.x to 14 is a bargain. I mean, this is the first paid upgrade for Moho in over four years!

If you purchased 13.5.5 very recently, I would contact Lost Marble directly. I don't know what they will say, but it's worth a shot because the $99 price is for a limited time only.
But when you basically just bought it, it doesn't really sound all that great... Not everyone is pissing money left and right.
I mean, it's a great software, but I kinda doubt, that 1. they will reply, 2. they will offer a free upgrade.
But congrats nonetheless.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's why you should contact Lost Marble directly. I don't know what they'll say, but I think it's reasonable to ask if they have a cut-off date for a free Moho 14 upgrade for very recent Moho 13.5.5 purchases.
Mattyj

Post by Mattyj »

I am having some issues with my serial number for 13.5.5 being read as invalid when I try to upgrade to 14. Has anyone else had this experience or perhaps knows what is going on? I am keen as a bean to upgrade.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Mattyj wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:27 am I am having some issues with my serial number for 13.5.5 being read as invalid when I try to upgrade to 14. Has anyone else had this experience or perhaps knows what is going on? I am keen as a bean to upgrade.
That happened to me. Despite being careful, I typed something wrong.

So I searched my email for "Moho" and found the old receipt. I copy-pasted the license key and it worked.

By the way... evidently license numbers have no letter O (as in Oregon). If you think you see an O, you are actually seeing a zero.
Dolphin2011

Post by Dolphin2011 »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:55 pm
Dolphin2011 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:51 pm There is only one price? How about the price from Moho 13.5 upgrade to 14? I have been with Moho for so many years, since Moho 5. Anyway, thank you for the great work.
You can check the upgrading options here
https://moho.lostmarble.com/pages/buy#upgrade
Yeah! I got email and found link, already bought it. Very happy and thank you.
Mattyj

Post by Mattyj »

Hoptoad wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:35 am
Mattyj wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:27 am I am having some issues with my serial number for 13.5.5 being read as invalid when I try to upgrade to 14. Has anyone else had this experience or perhaps knows what is going on? I am keen as a bean to upgrade.
That happened to me. Despite being careful, I typed something wrong.

So I searched my email for "Moho" and found the old receipt. I copy-pasted the license key and it worked.

By the way... evidently license numbers have no letter O (as in Oregon). If you think you see an O, you are actually seeing a zero.
The weird thing is I am copy and pasting it, leaving the dashes in, no O's, no extra spaces. I've started a support ticket so hopefully that will help
rickevertsz

Post by rickevertsz »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:34 pm
lazyroll wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:09 pm Too expensive to upgrade for 13, meh. I thought newly purchased V13 owners will get free upgrade even... Sadly. No grace period = bad move.
IMO, $99 for upgrading from 13.x to 14 is a bargain. I mean, this is the first paid upgrade for Moho in over four years!

If you purchased 13.5.5 very recently, I would contact Lost Marble directly. I don't know what they will say, but it's worth a shot because the $99 price is for a limited time only.
Agreed. I find the upgrade pricing to be EXTREMELY good value. I am just a hobbyist but have been using the Pro version for over 10 years. Looking at my upgrade history, I upgrade on average every 2 years, in sync with their release cycle, for about US$100. That’s a buck a week for a comprehensive piece of 2D animation software that is SIGNIFICANTLY enhanced with each major release. An absolute bargain.
-Rick
arglborps

Post by arglborps »

First of all CONGRATS! This is an upgrade I've been waiting for, mainly to financially support Lostmarble for their ongoing efforts and saving us from Smith Micro!
I bought the upgrade after checking it out for only 15 minutes, LOL.

First impression:
UI is super sluggish on my 16" MacBook Pro (intel). This is the last intel MBPro from Apple, so the highest spec intel laptop that exists. Yes, the graphic card isn't that great, but still it seems a little odd that the UI performance is now even worse, although the new rendering ending should've improved it. I used to run Moho on lowres (non-retina) with an Apple Script on this machine, but that seems to do nothing really for improving performance with the latest version. I'm planning to get an M3 Pro or Max once it's out next year, but until then I might have to stick with Moho 13 (sigh).

On the M1 Pro (my work machine), the app seems very smooth. I like the new rendering engine, because it seems much sharper. Most of the masking issues are now fixed and it displays most masks in realtime correctly, but slightly more complex ones it still seems to have problems with.

I haven't checked out any of the new features yet.

The specs still state you need an OpenGL 4.1 supported graphics card required (1920x1080 recommended) even for the Mac although OpenGL was deprecated many years ago and I don't think the OS even still supports it at all. I found that odd. Isn't the GPU rendering on macOS supposedly done via Metal? If not, why isn't it after all these years Metal has been out…? Even Blender supports viewport rendering via Metal now (thanks to Apple adding it for them, though).
Kilian Muster
Designer (day job), Animator/Creator (in the after hours)
PiXELBLAST Phungus & Mowld Production BlogYouTube Channel

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I would get in touch with Victor. If there's any problem with license activation, Victor will be able to help.

FWIW, I bought a second upgrade for my child Sienna last night, and entering their 13.5.5 SN went through just fine. I copied and pasted it directly from my software journal; this avoids any problems with mistyped numbers or letters.

Update: Whoops! I just read in a later post that you copied/pasted, too. Yeah, get in touch with Victor.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Sluggishness of the UI on Macs stems from the high density retina displays. I still have to start the app in low resolution mode, then it's buttery smooth though. I think this just has to do with how Moho's UI is built atm. The Viewport is extremely fast though but yea i would recommend all Mac users to use the app in low res mode (there's even a little terminal script in the custom content folder that starts it that way).

My guess is now with all the under the hood improvements, we will probably see some updates to the UI in general in future releases.

The Metal/Vulkan question was on my mind as well, OpenGL on Macs is definitely passé but so far it works nice ;) OpenGL still works on MacOS but it's an older version and just isn't updated anymore. Could well be that one day it'll be completely removed, hence a lot of graphics applications are switching to Metal/Vulkan atm. This is a pretty big undertaking though and also kinda sucks for developers because you have to support two renderers. There's MoltenVK which supports both though but i'm not a programmer, i don't know which approach would be best. FWIW, Toon Boom still runs on OpenGL as well.
threedslider

Post by threedslider »

Pretty awesome with this new Moho Pro 14 ! I love it !

Thank you for your hard work and brighting more powerful ever :)

I am new and I am learning this 2d animation software and I find it better than to Harmony or Clip Studio Paint !

Hope the community will help me to grow my skill ^^

And nice to meet you all artists

Powa to Moho !
Mattyj

Post by Mattyj »

Will Moho 13.5.5 files work in Moho 14?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Mattyj wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:08 am Will Moho 13.5.5 files work in Moho 14?
should do (and, unless you've used new features, vice versa). If you hit any problems, just shout!
Mattyj

Post by Mattyj »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:55 am
I would get in touch with Victor. If there's any problem, Victor will be able to help.

FWIW, I bought a second upgrade for my child Sienna last night, and entering their 13.5.5 SN went through just fine. I copied and pasted it directly from my software journal; this avoids any problems with mistyped numbers or letters.

Update: Whoops! I just read in a later post that you copied/pasted, too. Yeah, get in touch with Victor.
Update got it sorted yay, was using my Debut serial number duh