I Animated a drawing I made 40 Years (!!) ago when I was six!

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mmmaarten

I Animated a drawing I made 40 Years (!!) ago when I was six!

Post by mmmaarten »

Hi Folks,

Last year I animated a drawing I made when I was five (at that time I used Spine to animate). Now, to learn Moho, I took a drawing I made when I was six to have a project to start to learn Moho with.

It's definitely not perfect (like the loops of the smoke trails) and I'm still struggling a little with the Moho interface (which makes sense 'cause I'm still quite new to it), but I put quite some time into this so finished it today to start a new project fresh and clean 8)

Used more techniques in Moho than imagined before hand, so it was worht it for a first project!:
- animating/deforming images along a path, masking that with an animated mask and deforming the result again (per smoke trail)
- using meshes to deform images
- using the native bone tools, including the lovely bone sketch tool
- using some quite handy external scripts, like my favourite mr curve tool, which I really love!
- learning some layer properties
- UI, layers, preview etc.
- etc.

Also had some troubles here and there, which is a good thing to bump across sooner than later! Still struggling a little with the timeline and bone sketch tool mostly, so I'm not as comfortable yet with Moho as I am with Spine for 2d mesh/bones animations, but I'll definitely get there and I love Moho already! It's a matter of getting used to it and getting muscle memory!
When I'm more comfortable with Moho I'll have better motion and overlapping action and such. For now I'm quite satisfied with what I've learned with this project. It's all about progression, right?! :D

Thanks to the ones helping me learning Moho on this forum! You know who you are! very much appreciated!

Here's the result (endless loop):

Adults should play more often
Ronbo

Re: I Animated a drawing I made 40 Years (!!) ago when I was six!

Post by Ronbo »

Nice work. Love it!
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

Ronbo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:10 pm Nice work. Love it!
Hey thanks! Glad you like it and thanks for letting me know! :D
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I have a soft spot for all animation using children's drawings, maybe since I saw "Alexander und das Auto ohne linken Scheinwerfer" in the 60's.

Maybe add some moving texture in the street to enhance the driving illusion?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

slowtiger wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:01 pm Thanks for your response! I have a soft spot for all animation using children's drawings, maybe since I saw "Alexander und das Auto ohne linken Scheinwerfer" in the 60's.

Maybe add some moving texture in the street to enhance the driving illusion?
Yeah, I have exactly the same! Childrens drawings just have something that makes you smile as they are so innocent!

I understand your taste on adding some texture for the street to move. I would if this was a new design, but because these are childrens drawing, I like it better and intentially only use what's actually in the drawing when animating these. Otherwise I'm changing it and I don't like to change the look and feel (not even a little) on these and rather stay true to the original drawing. Even the scan of the paper and/or sketchbook it was in I keep in the animation. :D

BTW, in case you like it; these I made before (using Spine at the time):

Drawing 41 years ago, when I was five, animated:

Drawing 24 years ago, animated:

Drawing 25 years ago, animated:
kenchtahm

Post by kenchtahm »

This is such a cool project -- I have a few stories from Kindergarden that are just about at old, and I always love looking back at them. What an amazing way to celebrate them!

Love how these turned out, very very cool!
Matt Schneck - Lead Animator, Peacock Kids
My Animation Reel | "It's School" on Peacock Kids