I wrote a tool to convert 12fps animation to 24fps on 2's

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

CyberFilth

I wrote a tool to convert 12fps animation to 24fps on 2's

Post by CyberFilth »

So after creating my first animation at 12fps , to simulate a hand drawn look, I realised that the camera pans were jerky and needed to be animated at 24fps.
I looked into how to convert my 12fps animation to be "on 2's" at 24fps and it looked a little complicated.

I'm a programmer in my spare time though, so I wrote a simple program that you can point at a folder containing an image sequence, and it'll copy them to a new folder but create 2 copies of every frame and renumber them. So a 12 frames per second animation, becomes 24 frames per second with every images exposed twice.

It's available at https://github.com/cyberfilth/frameDuplicator

Hopefully my next post will actually be some animation.
mmmaarten

Re: I wrote a tool to convert 12fps animation to 24fps on 2's

Post by mmmaarten »

Nice, thanks for sharing!
Adults should play more often
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

not really needed for moho. Just import the original image sequence with project settings of 12 fps. Or most compositors will let you set the frame rate of an image sequence. (e.g. premiere: Interpret footage ... as 12 fps) if you want to mix frame rates in the finished video.
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

hayasidist wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:22 am not really needed for moho. Just import the original image sequence with project settings of 12 fps. Or most compositors will let you set the frame rate of an image sequence. (e.g. premiere: Interpret footage ... as 12 fps) if you want to mix frame rates in the finished video.
So now try to animate the camera (for instance) at 24 fps (one's)
Adults should play more often
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

for the scenario you suggest a straightforward way to avoid duplicating files is:
Project settings 24 fps and Import images into fbf switch or plain switch with hold duration of 2 frames. Trivial scripting solution to organise the switch - there might already be one - I’ll check when I’m back at base if need be.

That principle also works should you want to go on higher than 2s without making multiple copies of images.

Like I said, not really needed in moho …. But that doesn’t mean you can’t duplicate frames if you want to.