Layout Template

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BigBoiiiJones

Layout Template

Post by BigBoiiiJones »

This is a file template that is standard for the Japanese animation industry. It has a working time/frame counter that counts the frames and at every 24 frames 1 second will go up. This was configured with the standard Japanese and American frame rate standard of 24FPS. A timesheet and example timesheet is also included. The timer will stop working at 48 seconds.

Additional info there are two Moho files one with the camera set up for Japanese standard 1080p and one at the traditional layout resolution 2338 x 1653 it is important to note 1080p version is recommended and it will automatically scale up when 4K, 8K, and 16k is set and it will also downscale properly to 720p if needed.

Note in project settings AA is disabled as this is the Japanese anime standard. Reenable as needed.

It also contains a rules of third in the layout that could be toggled on and off.

You can get it here: https://www.animestudiotutor.com/shared_files?id=823 or here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1duYMTF ... YdhxZ5Z33/

Here is image renders one without and with Rules of Thirds enabled.

Also sorry if this is the wrong place to post it.
hayasidist

Re: Layout Template

Post by hayasidist »

Thanks for posting. This is interesting in the context of fbf (in which domain Moho is not king of the heap right now).

There's a very useful dive into how to use a dope sheet (aka X-sheet aka exposure sheet) in Richard Williams's "Animator's Survival Kit" -- and that also goes into principles of numbering the cels.

One thing I'll observe here is that the more traditional fbf tends to keep the depth of cel stack quite shallow (the ASK talks about 5 + BG; the dope sheets in the OP have 8 ). And whilst (e.g.) Toon Boom has the capability to use many more (each composed of up to 2 vector + 2 bitmap sub-layers?), there's still a psychological limit that is far less than the usual layering approach that most people adopt in (bone/action-based work) in Moho. [perhaps one reason is that the fbf-drawn animation then goes into a pipeline that includes using additional software for adding lighting etc effects and more extensive compositing that moho can often do in just one pass???]

IMO, one reason that Moho's fbf is behind the curve is that its fbf only allows one layer (i.e. stack depth of 1) which, IMO, is difficult to use for anything other than the simplest of animations. [speaking personally, I only ever use Moho's fbf for short sequences to make a transition where bones / actions / etc can't do it it cleanly]. There have been some very clever approaches to overcoming this (e.g. https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27514). Still IMO, enhancing Moho's fbf capability is desirable, but not as desirable as enhancements to its core strengths - 2d vector drawing and its amazing rigging system.
alexdesouza1

Re: Layout Template

Post by alexdesouza1 »

Thanks so much for sharing this layout template! As someone interested in animation, I really appreciate you taking the time to create and provide this for free.

The working time/frame counter is such a handy feature for tracking timing and keeping animation consistent. Setting it up with the standard 24 FPS is really thoughtful. And including the timesheet is a great addition for organizing workflow.

It's smart that you configured the template in both 2024 and the traditional 2338 x 1653 layout resolution. Having both options available in one file is so convenient for matching different production needs.

Disabling AA per the Japanese animation standard is a good callout in the notes. Helpful to know for anyone using this for the first time. And I like that you can easily toggle on/off the rule of thirds overlay. Very versatile!

Thank you again for generously sharing this template and explaining the setup and features so clearly. I look forward to downloading it via the links you provided and giving it a test drive with some animation exercises. Resources like this are invaluable for learning. Really appreciate you taking the time to create it for the community!