Lower torso turn breaks upper torso turn animation! I need help! Video included!

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kgeetvcartoons

Lower torso turn breaks upper torso turn animation! I need help! Video included!

Post by kgeetvcartoons »

When I rotate my characters legs it break torso rotation art! I don't what the fix is. I flip the character in one direction and it work fine with the legs.
I flip the character's legs in the other direction and it breaks the artwork. This particular setup works for other characters but not for this particular one! Smh!
I have included a video so anyone can see the problem!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fUWQvd ... sp=sharing
Greenlaw

Re: Lower torso turn breaks upper torso turn animation! I need help! Video included!

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi kgeetvCartoons,

I'm almost certain the problem is that you're using a Smart Bone Action to animate the layer stacking order for the arms, and there are probably keyframes in the lower body rotation control that conflict with or are otherwise overriding the arm layer order keyframes in the upper body rotation control. If this is what's happening, the quick fix is to check the lower body's Smart Bone Action and remove the keyframes for the layer stacking order.

I hope this solves the issue. If not, I have a few more questions. Don't worry, we'll figure it out. :D

That said, my preference is to avoid using a Smart Bone Action to animate layer order. A better way is to use a duplicate or reference of the limb layers, move the dupe/ref the the position you want, and then use the Smart Bone Action to toggle layer visibility instead. This avoids stacking order conflicts and it also frees me to add manual stacking order animation when I need it. (Handy when I need to move a layer to an unusual position or when I need to add a shot-specific layer on-the-fly.)

Another method is to use the Smart Bone Action to animate z-depth for the layer. This keeps the layers in the same stacking order in the Layers Window but physically moves the layer forward or backward in space. (You need to enable Sort Layers By Depth to do this.) Some users prefer this method because it requires only one copy of the limb.

Personally, I think animating depth can get messy and the visibility method is more bullet proof. For example, physically shifting the layer in z-space can potentially result in a 'pop'. This won't happen when animating visibility. FWIW, using a Smart Bone Action to control visibility is what I do for the production rigs at my work place and it always works perfectly.

Also, I prefer to keep the arms and legs layer sorting keyframes in a separate 'sorting' Smart Bone Action because when I'm animating a scene, sooner or later I'm going to want to place both arms behind or in front of the character independently of the body rotation angle. Tip: I used to create separate Smart Bone Dials for each arm but nowadays I just use a single dial that cycles through all the possibilities for both arms. Realistically, one control is enough because there are only a handful of possibilities.

In my experience, a simpler approach to rigging is easier (and more fun) to animate with, and it keeps the rig adaptable for unique situations. (There will ALWAYS be unique situations.)

Hope this helps.
kgeetvcartoons

Re: Lower torso turn breaks upper torso turn animation! I need help! Video included!

Post by kgeetvcartoons »

I really thank you for your help! I used the reference layers and it worked. I think that this software needs to have an update so this type of conflict doesn't happen. It's a great software but this really shouldn't be an issue. I hope in the next iteration of the software this will be addressed. Again thank you.
Also I notice when I use reference layers with the visibility on and off sometimes the layer that is supposed to be visible is invisible and I have to manually click "ok" for the 100% opacity to kick in to see that layer. I don't mind doing it but is this something that happens often?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Glad you got it working! :D
kgeetvcartoons wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:36 pm Also I notice when I use reference layers with the visibility on and off sometimes the layer that is supposed to be visible is invisible and I have to manually click "ok" for the 100% opacity to kick in to see that layer. I don't mind doing it but is this something that happens often?
Oh, don't use Opacity to switch layer visibility. Instead you should toggle Visibility--this is the keyframeable checkbox option at the top of the Compositing Effects section. Use Opacity only when you really need in-between values. For simple off/on layer animation, Visibility is simpler and cleaner.

BTW, you can toggle Visibility in the Timeline too by double-clicking on the channel and keyframes (you need to have at least 1 keyframe first.) This is handy when you need to toggle the animation quickly and are too lazy to open the Layer Settings window. Bonus tip: Visibility is one of the few options you can keyframe without enabling Allow Animated Layer Effects.

As for Moho accepting a Layer Settings change, I believe Moho requires that you click Apply or OK for the change to take. If you don't do either and you just close the window, Moho assumes you cancelled the changes (same as clicking Cancel.)

Normally, I keep the Layer Settings window open and use Apply to see the changes as I make them. To close the window when I'm done, I click OK to be absolutely sure my changes are accepted.

As for Animated Layer Order in a Smart Bone Action, the behavior isn't a bug. This feature is actually working as intended, it's just that the method is not suitable when you need more flexibility in the rig. But if you're fine working within the limitations of the technique (i.e, avoiding keyframing conflicts,) it will do the job.

Hope this info helps!
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, that reminds me, if you don't have Allow Animated Layer Effects enabled, some options will not be animatable, and I think this includes Opacity. This might be why keyframing seems to be spotty for you.

As mentioned, if you use Visibility instead, Moho doesn't care if Allow Animated Layer Effects is on or off. Another reason to stick with Visibility in this situation. :D
kgeetvcartoons

Post by kgeetvcartoons »

Thank you! I used the techniques and they work perfectly. I always check the "allow animated layer effects" when i animate with opacity or just about anything. I have to make sure that I check the visiblity in the timeline because for me the arm still disappears but I just enable visibility again and it works fine. It's just something I'll check from now on and because of what you taught me I'll be using reference layers a lot now! :D

Thanks again for taking the time to answer me back!