DIY ant killbot

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

alanthebox

DIY ant killbot

Post by alanthebox »

i continue my campaign of creating unsolicited surprise commercials for local businesses. as always, i mail them dvd's anonymously, include an email address they can respond to, and wait for them to contact me.

slowtiger

Re: DIY ant killbot

Post by slowtiger »

OK. I get it. None of this is serious, on no level, right? You're not going around slipping these into local business' mailboxes? Or do you? Really?

Apart from it being a tad bit long for my taste (or maybe the many "like" in the monologue) it's a damn fine piece of work. I grew up with 50's B-pictures like "Them!", I can confirm the ants are anatomically correct. If only the voices didn't sound so young! (Is that my age showing?) I like 30-50's radio voices a lot, my preferred choice for voice-over.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

slowtiger wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:22 am OK. I get it. None of this is serious, on no level, right? You're not going around slipping these into local business' mailboxes? Or do you? Really?
No, I do send these off as DVDs to the businesses in question. When my boss found out about this little side project of mine, they insisted that it's a form of economic terrorism. Not sure if I agree with that.

And as someone firmly in their 40s, I guess I'll take the youngness of my voice as a compliment!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That was great! It was silly and funny but also thoughtful...just my cup of tea!

Thanks for sharing alanthebox.
DK

Post by DK »

Brilliantly done!
Cheers
D.K
djoly

Post by djoly »

Enjoyable, creative and fun! Well done. Have any recipients of the dvd’s responded to you?
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

djoly wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:34 pm Enjoyable, creative and fun! Well done. Have any recipients of the dvd’s responded to you?
This is only the 9th one I've made but no, so far no responses.
chucky

Post by chucky »

I love the animation, it's funny and entertaining.

The advertisement factor is a practical joke... surely, on us as much as the businesses. (the donut one, is more obvious)

No one even has dvds anymore anyway.
This part of the gag works well enough as everyone talks about it.
Personally, I think the ad gag is a distraction and possible self-deprecation.

Alanthebox, it's funny enough to let it be.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Really enjoyed that. Has anyone ever called you back?
lucasfranca

Post by lucasfranca »

Man, I've never seen anything as creative as this strategy. And it makes me very sad not to get an answer. I think this in my country would be very promising. Advertising here is taken very seriously! Haha. Why not hand deliver and do your picthing?
An old guy [since 1983] who was raised in front of the TV.
Passionate about animation, after getting old, he decides to make it his hobby.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

https://youtube.com/animai2D
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

alanthebox wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:14 pm
djoly wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:34 pm Enjoyable, creative and fun! Well done. Have any recipients of the dvd’s responded to you?
This is only the 9th one I've made but no, so far no responses.
As a piece of art, it's fine (although I agree that there are far too many "like" verbal tics). And if it is a joke / prank / wind-up (e.g. suggesting that Vince's is ant-infested or doesn't provide parmesan) ... that's fine too!
But if you **really** want to impress a business into buying your services to create a real commercial for them, IMO, this is not a good approach, and I'm not surprised none of your targets has responded.

One of the threads of my work is delivering compelling narrative. A basic tenet is that you need to get your key message across in the first 7 seconds or less.
Once you've got their attention you can develop the theme(s).

This is not my website, but this gives more detail on the "7 second rule": https://wide-impact.com/blog/the-7-seco ... ffect-you/
Take a look at the "sales" and "marketing" sub headings.

If you want more about "how to create a pitch" just ask.
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

hayasidist wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:18 am As a piece of art, it's fine (although I agree that there are far too many "like" verbal tics). And if it is a joke / prank / wind-up (e.g. suggesting that Vince's is ant-infested or doesn't provide parmesan) ... that's fine too!
But if you **really** want to impress a business into buying your services to create a real commercial for them, IMO, this is not a good approach, and I'm not surprised none of your targets has responded.
oh, i'm in no way trying to convince a business to hire me on for an actual commercial. ever since my 20s, i've been really interested in anonymous art that (hopefully) leaves observers slightly confused. it's also a fun exercise to A) see a random business and B) try to come up with a concept that incorporates them into an absolutely terrible commercial.

anyhow, if anyone is in LA, this cartoon is going to be screening in this month's silverlake shorts (https://filmfreeway.com/silverlakeShorts) at el cid on 4/25.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

alanthebox wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:59 pm oh, i'm in no way trying to convince a business to hire me on for an actual commercial. ever since my 20s, i've been really interested in anonymous art that (hopefully) leaves observers slightly confused. it's also a fun exercise to A) see a random business and B) try to come up with a concept that incorporates them into an absolutely terrible commercial.

anyhow, if anyone is in LA, this cartoon is going to be screening in this month's silverlake shorts (https://filmfreeway.com/silverlakeShorts) at el cid on 4/25.
ha ha ... a sort of digital Banksy?! Count me in on the "confused".
I eat my words and wish you well... <vbg>