How to keep bones attached to artwork?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Ty505

How to keep bones attached to artwork?

Post by Ty505 »

I'm working on a headturn and for some reason the eyelid and eye bones are not following? See https://imgur.com/a/Iie5Ymw
Greenlaw

Re: How to keep bones attached to artwork?

Post by Greenlaw »

Without seeing the actual project file my guess is that the position of the eyes artwork are being animated by the head turn Smart Bone Action (SBA) separately from the eye bones, thus causing them to drift from the bones. If so, you need to remove the artwork keyframes in the action. It's an order of operations thing...bones move the art, not the other way around.

If you want, you can animate the eye bones in the action to move them with the head turn. This will still allow you to animate the eye positions on top of the SBA's offset.

IMO, you might want to create a Parent bone for both eyes and animate that for the head turn SBA instead, and then Shy that bone so it doesn't get animated by accident. This way the eyes bones will be completely free for independent animation but still move together with the head turn.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

That is normal. The artwork can't move the bones, only the bones can move the artwork. So to make the head turn you usually need to think about this:
The eyes need two kinds of animation: they need to change their position (to follow the position of the head) and they need to change their perspective (the shape of the eye changes).
To animate the position, change the position of the eye bones, and to animate the perspective (the shape) change the artwork moving the points.
Ty505

Post by Ty505 »

Greenlaw wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:08 pm Without seeing the actual project file my guess is that the position of the eyes artwork are being animated by the head turn Smart Bone Action (SBA) separately from the eye bones, thus causing them to drift from the bones. If so, you need to remove the artwork keyframes in the action. It's an order of operations thing...bones move the art, not the other way around.

If you want, you can animate the eye bones in the action to move them with the head turn. This will still allow you to animate the eye positions on top of the SBA's offset.

IMO, you might want to create a Parent bone for both eyes and animate that for the head turn SBA instead, and then Shy that bone so it doesn't get animated by accident. This way the eyes bones will be completely free for independent animation but still move together with the head turn.

Hope this helps.
That was it! Everything works perfect now - I accidentally animated the vectors as opposed to the bones for the headturn, now I have them animated by the bones. Thanks for the help :)