Soft Edge effect not working?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lazyroll

Soft Edge effect not working?

Post by lazyroll »

No matter how or where I activate soft edge effect, the vector shape completely disappears on the preview. Am I missing something? https://imgur.com/a/rSeJq3q
Last edited by lazyroll on Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Re: Soft Edge effect not working?

Post by Greenlaw »

Some effects only appear only in a final render. Try ctrl-R to see a render preview with the effect.

Enabling GPU Acceleration (from under Display Options) allows some effects to appear live in the workspace. However, these effects might look differently when rendered. Because this option doesn't always accurately depict effects, I usually keep it disabled and rely instead on what I see in the render preview window.

Hope this helps.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Maybe the radius of the soft edge effect is too big. The default radius is huge, in my opinion. If the shape is small-ish, the entire shape can be almost invisible.

Select the shape so that the shape has the checkerboard pattern. Select "soft edge" and change the radius to 3, then Preview to see the render.
lazyroll

Post by lazyroll »

Greenlaw wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:18 pm Some effects only appear only in a final render. Try ctrl-R to see a render preview with the effect.

Enabling GPU Acceleration (from under Display Options) allows some effects to appear live in the workspace. However, these effects might look differently when rendered. Because this option doesn't always accurately depict effects, I usually keep it disabled and rely instead on what I see in the render preview window.

Hope this helps.
You can also see the preview window in the picture? When I'm doing CMD + R the object disappears in the final render. I'm on Mac, I don't see anything like that. I mean, some things work really weirdly, maybe because it is a trial/demo?
lazyroll

Post by lazyroll »

Hoptoad wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:28 pm Maybe the radius of the soft edge effect is too big. The default radius is huge, in my opinion. If the shape is small-ish, the entire shape can be almost invisible.

Select the shape so that the shape has the checkerboard pattern. Select "soft edge" and change the radius to 3, then Preview to see the render.
Oh yeah I did all that. Changing effect slots, radius etc. And as you can see, in the final render the vector completely disappears.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

When you change radius, you need to be sure the shape is selected first. That is, the shape has to have the checkerboard pattern on it. Or it won't work. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to try.
lazyroll

Post by lazyroll »

Hoptoad wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:48 pm When you change radius, you need to be sure the shape is selected first. That is, the shape has to have the checkerboard pattern on it. Or it won't work. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to try.
Yes, I even changed the effect for a different shape, layer. I'm already pretty familiar with this program and it just started acting pretty weird after messing with that specific effect.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

You could also create a style with the soft edge effect, and then add the style to the shape and see if that works.

But I suspect the shape is the problem somehow and will need to be re-drawn.
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

lazyroll wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:53 pm
Hoptoad wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:48 pm When you change radius, you need to be sure the shape is selected first. That is, the shape has to have the checkerboard pattern on it. Or it won't work. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to try.
Yes, I even changed the effect for a different shape, layer. I'm already pretty familiar with this program and it just started acting pretty weird after messing with that specific effect.
just curious, when you select the shape and apply the soft edge effect, does it show you a preview of the softness being applied in that little effects setting dialog box?

do any other effects work? the trial limitations didn't mention anything about effects being disabled, but i wonder if that could be a potential issue?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

lazyroll wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:45 pm You can also see the preview window in the picture? When I'm doing CMD + R the object disappears in the final render. I'm on Mac, I don't see anything like that. I mean, some things work really weirdly, maybe because it is a trial/demo?
Hi,

I checked it out a few minutes ago to make sure what I wrote was correct, and it is, at least for Moho 13.5.5 on Windows. Unfortunately, I'm unable test this on a Mac. If I have time, I can check if works in the trial version tonight.

Anyway, under normal circumstances, the Soft Edges effect does not display in the workspace whether GPU Acceleration is enabled or not, but it does work when rendered. Here's the test I did using a star shape with Soft Edges applied...

To be clear, only some of the effects will display live in the workspace and Soft Edges is not one of them. The effect renders fine in Moho 13.5.5 though. It's best to check what it looks like using ctrl-R when setting up the Style, and then move on since it's not necessary to see the effect live while animating the project. When you submit the animation for final rendering, the effect will be applied.

Hope this helps. I'll write again if I find an answer regarding the trial version (I can only check that for Windows though.)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, one more thing: The effect is applied separately on Fills and Strokes. If you applied Soft Edge to the Fill effect and Stroke is active in your style, you need to also apply the effect there.
lazyroll

Post by lazyroll »

Hi guys, I thought I accidentally deleted this post instead of my last comment. I'm glad the mods revived it. Thank you for the explanation, apparently, the blur radius was indeed set too high at the default setting. I was messing around with it and the first time I had issues I probably changed to incorrect radius again and again. Everything is fine now, thank you!