Moho exits When Using Freehand Tool on Smart Warp Layer

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

nabil

Moho exits When Using Freehand Tool on Smart Warp Layer

Post by nabil »

Hello everyone,

I wanted to report a software bug that I encountered while using Moho Pro 13.5.5. I was working on an image project where I had to import a high-quality image and use the "create smart warp layer" feature to modify it.

However, when I tried to use the freehand tool to draw within the smart warp layer, Moho Pro 13.5.5 crashed and exited itself. This issue only occurred when I changed the line width of the freehand tool.

I'm using Windows 11 Pro on my computer with the following hardware specs: Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz, Installed RAM 32.0 GB, and Graphics card GTX 1070.

I tried to reproduce the issue on multiple occasions, and it seems to be consistently happening. I think this is a critical bug that needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

I hope this report helps the developers to identify and fix the issue. If anyone else has encountered this problem or has any suggestions for a workaround, please feel free to share your experiences.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
nabil

Re: Moho exits When Using Freehand Tool on Smart Warp Layer

Post by nabil »

The workaround is to change the line width before creating the smart warp layer. but when you do that after creating it, it will crash.
Greenlaw

Re: Moho exits When Using Freehand Tool on Smart Warp Layer

Post by Greenlaw »

I don't think the new Smart Warp was meant to be edited using the Freehand tool, but that's an interesting idea.

I just tried it and Freehand works here with Smart Warp without crashing. That said, I'm not seeing much advantage in these tools together because Freehand generates too many points resulting in somewhat messy geometry for a Smart Warp layer. I can get cleaner results when I increase point reduction for Freehand but then the lines are so straight I feel I may as well use Add Points instead.

When using Add Points, the points fall exactly where I need them to be, but when using Freehand, the points are dropped arbitrarily and not optimally placed for getting good deformations. IMO, it's probably best to avoid using the Freehand tool (or the Blob Brush for that matter) inside a Smart Warp layer. It may be slower to use Add Points but the result is so much better for Smart Warp editing and animation.

While on the subject, here's something I would like to see: it would be great if Mult Rush's new MR_Curve tool worked with Smart Mesh because it's much faster than using the native Add Points tool and just as precise. Unfortunately, MR_Curve is grayed out when a Smart Warp layer is selected. Or if the native Add Points tool can be updated to mimic the single-click behavior of MR_Curve, that would be fantastic!