Creating Characters Without Smart Bones

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Floonicorn

Creating Characters Without Smart Bones

Post by Floonicorn »

I'm new to Moho, and I have the Debut version. What's the best way to rig a character with facial expressions, hand positions, etc. without smart bones?
slowtiger

Re: Creating Characters Without Smart Bones

Post by slowtiger »

Well, just rig it with all the bones available? I do this all the time, smart bones are only for some special cases.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Floonicorn wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:00 am I'm new to Moho, and I have the Debut version. What's the best way to rig a character with facial expressions, hand positions, etc. without smart bones?
In Debut, I would rely on Switch layers for facial expression changes. You can use multiple switches for different parts of the face if you like. For example, make 'happy eyes' and 'angry' eyes in one switch, and the mouth shapes in another switch. Debut even supports Interpolate Sublayers mode for smooth transitions between Switch drawings...but that may be a bit advanced for a beginner. For smooth or subtle changes in expressions, I would look into using the Magnet tool during animation (I do this a lot in Moho Pro as well.)

Ugh...I know I've mentioned this before but years ago I put together a few lessons to teach my child Moho when they were very young. The lessons were basic but had tips and tricks not covered in the official manual. I've been meaning to update that project and make it public. Will make a note now to look into it this weekend.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Shoot...I was looking over my old notes about these Debut lessons and realized that Debut doesn't have a Magnet tool. Sorry about the misinformation.

Anyway, I can update these lessons for the current version of Debut. As mentioned, these lessons are basic but should be helpful to beginners.

It's just a matter of me making the time do it. I'll try to get that going this week.
Floonicorn

Post by Floonicorn »

Thank you for the answers. :D I'll try my best.