How Do I Solve This Error: Invalid Photoshop File Bitmapped Photoshop file is unsupported: File?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

LEOVATAR

How Do I Solve This Error: Invalid Photoshop File Bitmapped Photoshop file is unsupported: File?

Post by LEOVATAR »

Hello Everyone,

I am running into a frustrating error message while trying to open a Moho file. I created an animation scene using an imported photoshop file as the background. Now I when I try to open the Moho file containing the scene I get this error message: Invalid Photoshop File Bitmapped Photoshop file is unsupported: File. How do I solve this? I have attached a screenshot of the error message. As you can see on the right, the images are not crossed out the way Moho treats a missing file.

Screenshot:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18Ql6Yk ... share_link
hayasidist

Re: How Do I Solve This Error: Invalid Photoshop File Bitmapped Photoshop file is unsupported: File?

Post by hayasidist »

check the image mode of the photoshop file.

I think it's only RGB mode that moho supports.

If that's not it, please say... and maybe (if you can) upload the PS file???
LEOVATAR

Re: How Do I Solve This Error: Invalid Photoshop File Bitmapped Photoshop file is unsupported: File?

Post by LEOVATAR »

hayasidist wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:07 pm check the image mode of the photoshop file.

I think it's only RGB mode that moho supports.

If that's not it, please say... and maybe (if you can) upload the PS file???
Hello hayasidist,
Thanks for your reply. The mode is set to RGB Color, 8 bits. I'm afraid I can't share the photoshop file. NDA's. But I have worked with the Photoshop files in Moho without any issues. I only left it for a month only to meet this error when I try to open each scene.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Ok. Are you able to export each PS layer separately to png?
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

You can also try free tools like https://www.photopea.com to rewrite the PSD (or copy of), and see if that is loadable - in the old or new Moho document.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
LEOVATAR

Post by LEOVATAR »

hayasidist wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:23 pm Ok. Are you able to export each PS layer separately to png?
Yes I am able to do so. In fact I actually created the background layers by importing PNG created in illustrator to Photoshop.
Moho allows me to replace the layers that won't show in PSD file with the original image in my folders. The problem with that is I have to do it for each layer. I would really like to know what the issue is here. I just can't figure out why Moho is acting this way.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

could you open a new blank moho file and import the original PS file.

if that doesn't throw an error then that clearly points at the original moho file; but if If it does throw an error, then it points at the PS file.

If it is a moho problem, that should show in the moho file - so if you're ok to do so, could you upload a copy of that minus artwork and minus animation.

If it's a PS problem, then it might be an issue with the physical file. If you're ok to do so: _make a copy_ of the file and archive it somewhere safe. _Rename_ and open the original file, duplicate all the layers into a new file; save that as a the original name and load that into a new empty moho file.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

LEOVATAR wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:40 pm I'm afraid I can't share the photoshop file. NDA's. But I have worked with the Photoshop files in Moho without any issues. I only left it for a month only to meet this error when I try to open each scene.
Hello, LEOVATAR. Could you create a simpler version of the file? If it's not working, a couple layers should be enough to take a look and help.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
LEOVATAR

Post by LEOVATAR »

hayasidist wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:22 am could you open a new blank moho file and import the original PS file.

if that doesn't throw an error then that clearly points at the original moho file; but if If it does throw an error, then it points at the PS file.

If it is a moho problem, that should show in the moho file - so if you're ok to do so, could you upload a copy of that minus artwork and minus animation.

If it's a PS problem, then it might be an issue with the physical file. If you're ok to do so: _make a copy_ of the file and archive it somewhere safe. _Rename_ and open the original file, duplicate all the layers into a new file; save that as a the original name and load that into a new empty moho file.
Yes the PSD file imports perfectly into a new Moho project. Strangely it also imports perfectly into the affected Moho file. The affected Moho files refuse to see the old PSD files but imports a new one (the same PSD files mind you) perfectly.
Here's one of the affected Moho files as requested:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dagdv- ... share_link
LEOVATAR

Post by LEOVATAR »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:05 pm
LEOVATAR wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:40 pm I'm afraid I can't share the photoshop file. NDA's. But I have worked with the Photoshop files in Moho without any issues. I only left it for a month only to meet this error when I try to open each scene.
Hello, LEOVATAR. Could you create a simpler version of the file? If it's not working, a couple layers should be enough to take a look and help.
The PSD file works perfectly when imported back into the affected Moho project, but still the older ones (same as the on imported) still won't show.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Thanks, but the .moho file without the .psd is not useful to see what is going on.
If you can import the .psd in new files, then it looks maybe Moho lost the connection with the .psd in the original .moho file.
It could be that the file Photoshop file layers or other elements of the file changed so much that they are not recognizable anymore for Moho. But it's hard to say without seeing the actual files.
Have you tried re-linking the image layers in Moho?
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I've taken a look at the JSON in the .moho file.

There are many .PSDs in there. Which one(s) is/are giving you the problem?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

What used to break layered PSD files for Moho was merging and adding or deleting layers because these actions changed the layer IDs Moho used to keep track of the layers. But in Moho 13.5.5, Moho tracks the layers by layer names first, which has been very reliable provided that you are diligent about giving layers sensible names. If you're not, well, that can potentially break things too.

Anyway, if you're in a hurry, I would just export the layers from your paint program as PNG files. Since the release of 13.5.5, I've been using layered PSD files more regularly but for years before that, I found using PNG layers in Moho was way more reliable. In fact, I still use PNG files when I think I'm going to be messing with the Photoshop file a lot.

If you're using Photoshop, the best and easiest way to export PNG layers is the use the free Export Layers To Files Fast script from here:

https://github.com/antipalindrome/Photo ... tag/v2.7.1

This script opens a window with a lot of useful options like exporting only visible layers, merge groups as layers, crop layers, over-write old layers, etc. For me, it's been an incredibly useful companion for Moho, and significantly better than the Export Layers command that comes with Photoshop.

If you use the free Krita paint program, Krita has a simpler version of this under the menu Tools>Script>Export Layers. It's not nearly as fancy or useful as the PS script but it gets the job done.

With either method, so long as the updated layers are being overwritten using the same names, Moho will automatically reload the files.
LEOVATAR

Post by LEOVATAR »

hayasidist wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:45 pm I've taken a look at the JSON in the .moho file.

There are many .PSDs in there. Which one(s) is/are giving you the problem?
All of them please. None of the PSD files are showing in the Moho file sent
LEOVATAR

Post by LEOVATAR »

Greenlaw wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:47 pm What used to break layered PSD files for Moho was merging and adding or deleting layers because these actions changed the layer IDs Moho used to keep track of the layers. But in Moho 13.5.5, Moho tracks the layers by layer names first, which has been very reliable provided that you are diligent about giving layers sensible names. If you're not, well, that can potentially break things too.

Anyway, if you're in a hurry, I would just export the layers from your paint program as PNG files. Since the release of 13.5.5, I've been using layered PSD files more regularly but for years before that, I found using PNG layers in Moho was way more reliable. In fact, I still use PNG files when I think I'm going to be messing with the Photoshop file a lot.

If you're using Photoshop, the best and easiest way to export PNG layers is the use the free Export Layers To Files Fast script from here:

https://github.com/antipalindrome/Photo ... tag/v2.7.1

This script opens a window with a lot of useful options like exporting only visible layers, merge groups as layers, crop layers, over-write old layers, etc. For me, it's been an incredibly useful companion for Moho, and significantly better than the Export Layers command that comes with Photoshop.

If you use the free Krita paint program, Krita has a simpler version of this under the menu Tools>Script>Export Layers. It's not nearly as fancy or useful as the PS script but it gets the job done.

With either method, so long as the updated layers are being overwritten using the same names, Moho will automatically reload the files.
Thanks Greenlaw. I already have the png layers though. I actually created the background in Illustrator, exported each png layer and used them to create the PSD file. I guess I'll have to replace the files manually. I'll have to do that for 250 shots!!!!