Swich layer action interpolation

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lucasfranca

Swich layer action interpolation

Post by lucasfranca »

Hi guys!
Is there any problem in interpolation of sub layers inside an action? I recorded a video with my problem. Am I doing something wrong?

https://onedrive.live.com/download?cid= ... 4lg_o2IU1w
An old guy [since 1983] who was raised in front of the TV.
Passionate about animation, after getting old, he decides to make it his hobby.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

https://youtube.com/animai2D
synthsin75

Re: Swich layer action interpolation

Post by synthsin75 »

Smart bones cannot interpolate switches.
It's just a limitation of switch interpolation, for stuff like point motion, not existing within a single layer/animation channel.

For your example, you'd be better off just doing point motion for the smart action.
lucasfranca

Post by lucasfranca »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:55 pm For your example, you'd be better off just doing point motion for the smart action.
Thank you, Wes. But moving the dots didn't work for what I wanted, so I thought of this form of switches. But that's ok, I think losing the transition can be smoothed out with head movement or worst case switching manually.

I hope they resolve this issue in the near future.
An old guy [since 1983] who was raised in front of the TV.
Passionate about animation, after getting old, he decides to make it his hobby.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

https://youtube.com/animai2D
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I use the Switch Section window for this sort of thing (Switch with Interpolation). The Switch Selection window works with Interpolation, is much easier to set up than a Smart Bone Action, and it also allows non-linear keyframing between the drawings. This is what I used to animate the biker granny's face in this Boss Baby sequence: https://vimeo.com/364548450#t=121

Some tips:

You need to make sure all of the drawings are based on the same points and paths. If you change the point order by adding or deleting points in the paths, you will break Moho's ability to morph between the shapes. (Note: this is generally true for any animation program that animates morph targets or blend shapes.)

In Moho 13.5.5, you can use groups inside the Switch and still have interpolation. The layers in the groups should still have the same base points and paths of course for the interpolation to work.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

BTW, for your specific example, I agree with Wes. It's more practical to animate the mouth using a single Smart Bone Dial and a single vector layer. Just use one Smart Bone Dial direction for the 'smile', and th counter-direction for the frown.

I often set up a Smart Bone dial I like to call 'Emo', which alters the smile/frown pose for every viseme and other commonly used mouth shapes. This gives me a very broad range of mouth poses to choose from while keeping the number of drawings needed for them very low. (Tip: The Magnet tool is your friend. And if you're using bitmaps, the Mesh layer is another good friend.)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Another nested bone/ nested action problem.
It would be great to get nested smart bones to work. Eh?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I suspect these limitations are not a bugs but were implemented rather as a performance optimizations.

That said, it would be great if Moho offered options to override these limitations when the user really wants/needs to. The user can then decide if the expected performance hit is worth it or not. I guess Moho can warn the users about proceeding after clicking on these options.

Some 3D animation programs I use have options like that for features like IK performance, physics, or rendering, when precision and accuracy become more important to a given task than program efficiency. Not usually necessary but critical when you really need it.