Angle Value Display for 'Manipulate Bone' function

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hugging_Bear

Angle Value Display for 'Manipulate Bone' function

Post by Hugging_Bear »

Hi Moho-Guys,
I've a feature request for you ... (really 2+1).
I couldn't help to notice that by activating the 'Manipulate Bone' (Z) function, the function bar at the top of the screen remains blank, unlike the 'Transform Bone' (T) function. Wouldn't it be helpful to have a box with the numeric value of the angle of the selected bone? This could enable the animator to copy and paste certain numeric values from bone position to bone position in a very precise way (within one bone over a time period but also from one bone to another bone)... and it would be a huge time saver too. Maybe have even a 'Copy Angle' button, which by pressing saves the value to the clipboard and a 'Insert Angle' button for pasting/applying the angle to the bone at this keyframe
The second feature I request is an option in the preferences to disable the 'Auto-Freeze Frames' function. It happened to me twice, that I accidentally enabled that function, which brought me a lot of trouble!

Ah ... and a last thing. Could you please bring back the 'Materials' tab for 3D objects?

Well - it's the advent time, and those items are on my wish list for Santa! :D
lucasfranca

Re: Angle Value Display for 'Manipulate Bone' function

Post by lucasfranca »

Hugging_Bear wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:52 am I couldn't help to notice that by activating the 'Manipulate Bone' (Z) function, the function bar at the top of the screen remains blank, unlike the 'Transform Bone' (T) function. Wouldn't it be helpful to have a box with the numeric value of the angle of the selected bone? This could enable the animator to copy and paste certain numeric values from bone position to bone position in a very precise way (within one bone over a time period but also from one bone to another bone)... and it would be a huge time saver too. Maybe have even a 'Copy Angle' button, which by pressing saves the value to the clipboard and a 'Insert Angle' button for pasting/applying the angle to the bone at this keyframe
For this, what I always use and it's very easy, is to select the keyframe that you expect values ​​and paste where you need to repeat.
An old guy [since 1983] who was raised in front of the TV.
Passionate about animation, after getting old, he decides to make it his hobby.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

https://youtube.com/animai2D
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

One issue is that 'Manipulate Bone' (Z) is typically used to manipulate IK, therefore it can affect multiple bone angles and bone positions.

The angle value is shown with the Transform Bone tool and whilst not super efficient - values can be copy pasted there.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Hugging_Bear

Post by Hugging_Bear »

Of course - I know that one can copy and paste certain keyframes. But one can't see what that keyframe does ... at least not in form of a numeric value (degree of angle). Switching back and forth between Manipulate Bone Tool and Transform Tool is simply inconvenient.
Today, I animated the mouth-shape according to the audio-track (the yaw movement, not per switch layer replacement). Certain peaks and troughs of the wave line equal certain degree of the smart bone dial.
The blank bar on top of the screen is just wasted space that could be put to good use.
While I'm at it: why not to introduce a 'Replace [numeric value A] with [numeric value B] function? Those are only suggestions of course!
Hugging_Bear

Post by Hugging_Bear »

SimplSam wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:17 pm One issue is that 'Manipulate Bone' (Z) is typically used to manipulate IK, therefore it can affect multiple bone angles and bone positions.

The angle value is shown with the Transform Bone tool and whilst not super efficient - values can be copy pasted there.
What is IK?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hugging_Bear wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:10 pm What is IK?
Inverse Kinematics (IK) Is how Moho manipulates bones in a chain when you move the bone at the end of the chain and the upper bones follow it. This is commonly used to animate arms and legs in Moho (and in 3D animation programs.) You need to use Manipulate Bones to work with IK (unless you're using Bone Targets of course. Although, you can use Manipulate Bones to reposition Bone Targets too.) You can temporarily switch to Forward Kinematics (FK) mode with Manipulate Bones by holding down Alt...no need to switch to Transform Bone for that. Because of this, I use Manipulate Bones for most of my character animation.

If you're wondering what FK is, it's when you rotate each bone in the chain individually, like you might when using the Transform Bone tool. Using Alt with Manipulate Bones is just as lot easier and quicker than constantly switching between the two tools.

While I'm animating a character rig, about the only time I need to switch to the Transform Bone tool is when I want to reposition a chain (like the upper thigh or shoulder bone) or need to scale a bone. As a shortcut, you can try press-and-hold T to temporarily switch to Transform Bone and when you release T, Moho will automatically switch back to the Manipulate Bones tool.

Personally, I prefer to just press T which fully switches to Transform Bone and then Z to switch back to Manipulate Bones because the press-and-hold method is sometimes too slow to animate a complex rig with. But for simpler rigs, press-and-hold works fine.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Hugging_Bear wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:52 am The second feature I request is an option in the preferences to disable the 'Auto-Freeze Frames' function. It happened to me twice, that I accidentally enabled that function, which brought me a lot of trouble!
Drop this in your Tool folder:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/e9kro0rl ... e.lua/file

This won't show in the tool window. It will disable auto-freeze any time you change layers or enter/exit frame zero. It just won't always hide the check mark.
Hugging_Bear

Post by Hugging_Bear »

First of all, thanks to all your responses!
Please kindly notice, that I didn't post this post under 'General Discussion' but under the category 'Request New Feature'.
As such, I don't need help with a specific issue (in this case) but I'm making general suggestions to improve the Moho program for all users!

This misunderstanding out of the way, I want to add another suggestion how to improve the 'Manipulate Bone' function bar. (hey - I think Moho should start paying me for all those wonderful ideas I'm giving them)
Why don't introduce a 'Divide in increments by [numeric value]'. This way, the bone would snap to certain positions like the hand on an analog clock. This would be very helpful by building your own 360° dial bone and you want assign a different action to - let say - each 30°. (It goes without saying, that this function would be optional)

BTW - I don't see how the argument that the manipulate tool moves more than one bone is a counter argument to showing the specific angle of this specific (active) bone.
All arguments so far went like this: " We don't need a rear view mirror, we can crank our heads back to see what happens behind us!" - Sure you can! But as soon as you got used to driving a car which got a rear view mirror, you don't want to miss it. There is always a more inconvenient way of doing this. But why not to embrace the more convenient way?
Last edited by Hugging_Bear on Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:22 am, edited 6 times in total.
Hugging_Bear

Post by Hugging_Bear »

synthsin75 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:55 am
Hugging_Bear wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:52 am The second feature I request is an option in the preferences to disable the 'Auto-Freeze Frames' function. It happened to me twice, that I accidentally enabled that function, which brought me a lot of trouble!
Drop this in your Tool folder:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/e9kro0rl ... e.lua/file

This won't show in the tool window. It will disable auto-freeze any time you change layers or enter/exit frame zero. It just won't always hide the check mark.
Thanks mate! A very useful script, I think!