Simple way to rotate cornered objects

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Simple way to rotate cornered objects

Post by Víctor Paredes »

This is a common animation task I always have to deal with. I just had the idea it can be easily done using a couple controlled bones:

The concept is very simple.
You have one bone on a corner and a second, child of the first one, on the other corner.
The layer/points are bound to the second bone.
The angle of Both bones are controlled by a third independent bone.
Then, to avoid double rotations, the bone of the left has angle constraints, so it can only rotate to the left; And the bone at the right has constraints so it can only rotate to the right.
Here's the file if you want to take a look:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/07lbfwqt1iy7s ... moho?raw=1
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Re: Simple way to rotate cornered objects

Post by Greenlaw »

Excellent Victor! I'm going to have to remember this one. :D

The way I've typically handled this was to place the layer in two groups, with each group's origin on different corners, and then I just rotate one of the groups. It's simple but this really only works when the rig isn't moving around.

I think yours is a more elegant setup, especially when the animation is more complicated. (More fun to animate with too.)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lucasfranca

Post by lucasfranca »

Very good, thanks for this collaboration!

A question: what would the binding be like if the bones have zero strength?
An old guy [since 1983] who was raised in front of the TV.
Passionate about animation, after getting old, he decides to make it his hobby.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

https://youtube.com/animai2D
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Very cool. I like the way the bones - inter-play.

lucasfranca wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:22 am A question: what would the binding be like if the bones have zero strength?
Just Layer Bind the 'content' layer to the rightmost bone.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
lucasfranca

Post by lucasfranca »

Wow, yes! Simple! But why the one on the right? Well, anyway, it did.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

This is the principle of the saloon door hinge.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Greenlaw wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:32 pm The way I've typically handled this was to place the layer in two groups, with each group's origin on different corners, and then I just rotate one of the groups. It's simple but this really only works when the rig isn't moving around.
I think yours is a more elegant setup, especially when the animation is more complicated. (More fun to animate too.)
Thanks. Yes, there are several ways to achieve this. Personally, in the past I simply created a couple smart bone actions and simulated the change of pivot there.
It works well, but it requires some work and can't be really recycled to other objects.
I preferred not to use layer rotation, because I normally want this rotation to be part of the rig, affecting other chains of bones.

Actually, the idea came days after I animated this:

Here the stool is parent of the entire character, because I needed the fish to react to the stool rotation.
In this example, I simple added two bones for the stool and animated them one at the time (which is way less fun and harder to tweak than just rotating one bone).
__

The content needs to be bound to the second bone to be sure it rotates following both bones.
If you bind the content to the first bone, then the content will only rotate following that bone and ignoring any rotation from the second bone.
If you bind it to the second bone, then the content will follow that bone, but also the first bone, since it is its parent.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

slowtiger wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:57 pm This is the principle of the saloon door hinge.
Haha, you're right!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

lucasfranca wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:49 am Wow, yes! Simple! But why the one on the right? Well, anyway, it did.
When rocking to the right, the right bone is lifting the bottle. When rocking to the left, the left bone is lifting the right bone (with the bottle) because the right bone is parented to it.

The middle bone controls only one of the two rocker bones at a time, and the difference between the two is the hierarchy. (Select the Parent Bone tool to see.)
lucasfranca

Post by lucasfranca »

Based on your example, I thought of making a forearm that overlaps an arm, working for the joint break and without any action. Download here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah7UWMCgRFbGhKcdJjK ... Q?e=UrA41I