Cloud Moho

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sang820

Cloud Moho

Post by sang820 »

1- All users rent the permission to use [Cloud Moho]
2-computer = interactive terminal
3- Users can download and store Moho files, but only edit them in cloud Moho.

:shock: I think this can be immune to the [piracy] problem, what do you think? :shock:
【Cloud Moho】Users can use officially provided materials, online help, and one-to-one problem solving, which are all services that users need very much. This means greater investment, but also actually helps users solve difficult problems.
cgrotke

Re: Cloud Moho

Post by cgrotke »

I'm not a fan of any cloud-based software.

I like to own the software, not rent it.
I like to have everything local and private. No other company needs to know what I'm doing and when, if possible.
If and when the cloud goes down, I want to keep working. Don't want to reply on third party services to get things done, if possible.

I'd rather see energy put into making a cleaned-up, great library of scripts, characters, backgrounds, sound FX, etc to download (or add to) as needed.

I ditched Adobe long ago for their move to cloud-based rental software (and have saved thousands of dollars since...)
Christopher Grotke
MuseArts - Web Design & Animation
www.musearts.com
PixelVector

Post by PixelVector »

That's a hard no from me. If Moho ever goes cloud based I will not use Moho anymore.
Arthritic

Post by Arthritic »

Agreed. I finally got on the Moho boat about a month ago. After researching my options it was down to Harmony, Animate and Moho. Harmony is too expensive and Animate is subscription, so here I am. If Moho were to go Cloud/Sub model I would cut my losses and bite the bullet on Harmony. Subscriptions and Clouds suck. I agree with the others above.
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

I have to agree with all the No's. I started working with PC's in the mid 80's and (creature of habit) always owned my software. Just like buying anything the feeling of owning your own stuff just feels right, of course this is coming from an older generation. I used CorelDraw suite since version 3 and now 'own' CD 2019 because it's the last version (so they say) you could get without renting a license. I can see where some may be drawn to this and maybe they could have a 3rd version of the software Debut, Pro or Cloud. And after saying all that I have to admit I have one for "e-on's VUE complete" and I'm still wondering why Im paying $19.95 every month. I hardly use it now (wanted it for some new features) usually created backgrounds for animations and creating HDR's (which this licensed version doesn't even do it's disabled!?) ...but now I'm just ranting. Anyway for me I wouldn't want to see this in a Cloud.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
sang820

Post by sang820 »

cgrotke wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:07 pm I'm not a fan of any cloud-based software.

I like to own the software, not rent it.
I like to have everything local and private. No other company needs to know what I'm doing and when, if possible.
If and when the cloud goes down, I want to keep working. Don't want to reply on third party services to get things done, if possible.

I'd rather see energy put into making a cleaned-up, great library of scripts, characters, backgrounds, sound FX, etc to download (or add to) as needed.

I ditched Adobe long ago for their move to cloud-based rental software (and have saved thousands of dollars since...)
:shock:
【Cloud】is not the same as 【Expensive】.
I think you just hate 【Expensive Pay】, not 【Cloud】. Many people hate ADOBE's expensive payment standards, which doesn't mean Moho Cloud will be more expensive.
sang820

Post by sang820 »

PixelVector wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:18 pm That's a hard no from me. If Moho ever goes cloud based I will not use Moho anymore.
:shock: Why is it difficult? Is it because of network issues? Or do you also think [Cloud] is expensive? Or what about other reasons? please tell me.
sang820

Post by sang820 »

Arthritic wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:53 pm Agreed. I finally got on the Moho boat about a month ago. After researching my options it was down to Harmony, Animate and Moho. Harmony is too expensive and Animate is subscription, so here I am. If Moho were to go Cloud/Sub model I would cut my losses and bite the bullet on Harmony. Subscriptions and Clouds suck. I agree with the others above.
If (I'm just assuming) renting the Moho cloud costs $20 per year, would you accept it?
Or give the price you think is suitable, please let me know.
sang820

Post by sang820 »

SuperSGL wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:56 pm I have to agree with all the No's. I started working with PC's in the mid 80's and (creature of habit) always owned my software. Just like buying anything the feeling of owning your own stuff just feels right, of course this is coming from an older generation. I used CorelDraw suite since version 3 and now 'own' CD 2019 because it's the last version (so they say) you could get without renting a license. I can see where some may be drawn to this and maybe they could have a 3rd version of the software Debut, Pro or Cloud. And after saying all that I have to admit I have one for "e-on's VUE complete" and I'm still wondering why Im paying $19.95 every month. I hardly use it now (wanted it for some new features) usually created backgrounds for animations and creating HDR's (which this licensed version doesn't even do it's disabled!?) ...but now I'm just ranting. Anyway for me I wouldn't want to see this in a Cloud.
Think about:
You can find a computer at will to make complex files without worrying about CPU and RAM (because all calculations are in the cloud, your pc is just an interactive terminal and does not undertake computing tasks)

Is this bad?

[Of course there is a high-speed network]
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I will never have my work held ransom to a subscription, no matter how cheap. If I don't possess a local copy of the software, the company could always up their rate, shut down their servers, etc.. I also don't like having more monthly bills to pay. I can buy my own computers, with the specs I need.

Definite no.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Nope nope nope.
I share Wes' views on this exactly,
Even serial numbers that are checked on the net can lead to un- activated software, denying customers access, if there is no contingency in place.

Putting Moho on the cloud would be a great way to push everyone to open source.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Definitely No.

Adobe has shown what will happen over time. Before CC you could buy the software, 4 digits for the whole package, but then work with it for years. Then CC came and all their tricks about "start for free" and "only that much" and so on, effectively leading to buy the same softeware again and again every year. This might not hurt any big studio, but is prohibitively expensive for freelancers, not to mention beginners, students and amateurs. Oh, and of course you can't get it everywhere: parts of the world are not allowed to participate, while before CC they could at least buy it elsewhere and have the CDs sent to them.

Plus the inevitable technical difficulties: licence servers down. Plus the ever more likely red tape: changing US export restrictions may cut your subscription any time if you live elsewhere in the world.

I've switched to Affinity some time ago.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

As far as I'm concerned, some form of subscription model for Moho would see the software rapidly disappearing in my rear-view mirror. Moho has competitors: this would be a sure-fire way of handing Moho's market share (however small) to them.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
EricTheFish

Post by EricTheFish »

No, no, no! I hate the cloud subscription model.

Creating or storing anything on a remote system that you have zero control over is just suicidal to me.

Adobe CC often tells me it can’t verify my subscription and quits. It’s supposed to run for 30 days or so without needing an internet connection, but that is not my experience.

I much prefer to buy software outright and upgrade it whenever I need to, such as changing hardware or when they add new features I can use.
EricTheFish
Artist, musician, animator, coder and dabbler in stuff
www.tech-nique.co.uk
sang820

Post by sang820 »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Wow~ Your thoughts are so consistent! It seems that [Moho Cloud] is a bad idea emmmmm