good tutorial on character animation in Moho?

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Sacha

good tutorial on character animation in Moho?

Post by Sacha »

Does anyone know of a good tutorial on character animation in Moho?

I'm kinda new to the whole thing, especially to moho. I've done the Moho tuts but it's not quite enough.

The thing I'm especially battling with is getting my character to walk nicely. I know the basic principle of squash and stretch, but it's proving to be a bit tricky.

Also would be great to be able to find some tuts on other types of character movement...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sach.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I think your problem is not so much Moho, but character animation in general. The best way to learn character animation is by doing under the guidance of an experienced animator. The next best way is by doing and ask for input from other animators, hoping that they give you some pointers. The third best way is to do it all on your own by reading books and tutorials and the worst way is to keep reading books about animation until you think you have enough knowledge (but no experience).

As a hobbyist animator I have more modest goals. I don't have to be the best, I only want to be able to express myself in animation. I know this will take many years, but I don't mind because I do this just for fun and I'm in no particular hurry.
Sacha

Post by Sacha »

Thanks rasheed, but I already know what my weaknesses are. I'm asking for help, so that I can learn and get some experience.

I don't have an experienced animator to work under, nor do I have lots of time at my disposal. This is largely due to the fact that I am doing a real job for a real client with real deadlines.

Would anyone else like to blow me out of the animation ocean before I even set sail?

Just a simple link to a tutorial or two is all I ask...
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Sacha

Post by Sacha »

cool, thanks! I'll give them a try...
lostbear

Post by lostbear »

BA

Post by BA »

Go out and buy "The Animator's Survival Kit" by Richard Williams. That will give you everything you need.

You can learn without teachers as long as you have good books, patience and practiced extreme precision.
Last edited by BA on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Create cartoon characters and comics in minutes: www.bitstrips.com
alano

Post by alano »

BA has it right. Every serious character animator must get this book.

Alan
Get some "Good Advice" at www.decksawash.net
Inkling_Studio

Post by Inkling_Studio »

alano wrote:BA has it right. Every serious character animator must get this book.
Another thumbs up for The Animator's Survival Kit by Dick Williams,but don't forget the classic Preston Blair book , published by Walter Foster Art Books Cartoon Animation , which is a combination of Blair's animation books No. 1 and No. 2 . Book no. 1 as a standalone is currently available as Animation 1

A great online source for character animation tips is Animation Meat

ASIFA Animation Archive has posted the original version of Preston Blair's book (with the MGM characters like Tom & Jerry) here:

Original Preston Blair Book: Advanced Animation
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

This is a serious suggestion...

Watch the cartoon network... a lot... study it. Video tape stuff (Tivo it?)... watch it over and over... watch any animated film on DVD... pause the DVD during complex actions or simple cycles...

Study the different styles of animation. I have found certain types of key framing and motion appeal to my sense of humor and I have been trying to replicate it.

You will be amazed at what you can learn from "noneducational" television. ;)

-vern