Crashing while using Eydropper tool

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Waldo2D

Crashing while using Eydropper tool

Post by Waldo2D »

I crash - EVERYTIME - while using the eyedropper tool.

Workflow
- I import a png image (screenshot)
- I select an area with the 'shape select tool' of a vectorshape on another layer
- Use the eyedropper to select a color from the imported image (on another layer)
- When selecting the layer with the image, Moho craches EVERY TIME.

Working in the latest version 13.5.2 on Windows

UPDATE
When I save before crashing, I can remove the image layer without problem after opening again

Really annoying and slowing down my production...
Daxel

Re: Crashing while using Eydropper tool

Post by Daxel »

I can't replicate the problem. Also 13.5.2, Windows 10. AMD graphics. I tried using the eyedroper holding the tool, using the main tool and also using the eyedropper of the style panel, but I didn't have any problem. Maybe it's another thing... GPU acceleration, the autosave feature, a script, or something that messes with the eyedropper. I have Autosave disabled, and GPU aceleration disabled aswell.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, I can replicate this bug. Selecting the image layer afterwards is the trigger for the crash.
Waldo2D

Post by Waldo2D »

UPDATE
After restarting my computer things get worse.
After another crash and reopening the file, I got the message to recover.
When I say NO, the file opens, I remove the image-layer from and save it.
Then the file disappears from the drive...

UPDATE2
The disappearance is related to working in Dropbox.
Crashing happens also outside the dropbox
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

This looks like another issue related to the Style Panel. I tried to replicate last night but could not until synthsin75's statement lead to me to understand I misread the initial post.

Anyway... I cannot reproduce if the Style panel is not visible or undocked - which hopefully means undocking the Style panel should be a temporary work-around.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I've had a go at this ... I've had a crash by having:

clean Moho start, default empty file
on the default vector layer: use the factory Draw Shape tool to create a shape (rectangle) ; then shape select
file / import / image
>>> image not imported; crash

so I guess it's an image layer issue more than an eyedropper one (unless, ofc, we have multiple issues that give the same outcomes) ...
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

SimplSam wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:37 am This looks like another issue related to the Style Panel.

Anyway... I cannot reproduce if the Style panel is not visible or undocked - which hopefully means undocking the Style panel should be a temporary work-around.
This is it! I always have the style panel undocked. I just checked and you are right, docking the panel I can reproduce the bug every time. Undocking it, seems imposible to reproduce.

And as you say I also remember more problems related to the docked/undocked state of panels mentioned on this forum, so that explains why some people is having a lot of crashes and I always say that I'm not having any. Everyone should undock their style panels. I also work with the actions panel undocked, I don't know if that is also protecting me from some other crashes, but I'm not having any at all.
Waldo2D

Post by Waldo2D »

Thanks for the workaround!
No more crashes since I undocked the stylepallette.
You guys rock!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, that's interesting. I haven't run into that crash but that's probably because I keep most of my Moho windows undocked. Only Layers and Timeline are kept docked on my system, everything else is undocked and hidden until I need them. (I explain why in this video: https://vimeo.com/335696360)